• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Firewall Plesk, CSF recommendation which best

Tize

Basic Pleskian
Hello, we time our server using Plesk 12. CSF
And so far so good.
Suddenly last night we had a serious error and no domain works, and we found that the problem was of CSF.

We wanted to know if CSF can be used without problems in Plesk or better use the integrated Plesk Firewall?

The question now CSF is used because it is more complete and we Plesk Firewall does nothing, is very basic. It does not allow block countries, ips or we do not.

Thank you very much.

Captura de pantalla 2016-03-30 a las 10.36.06.png

I have used CSF for many years and I haven't heard any issues ...
What was the problem caused by CSF last night as you stated?

Hi thanks for your message.
Suddenly today I could not access any of these pages.
I was trying and trying and finally gave me disable CSF, restart ftpd and suddenly everything works.

As you run with CSF from console or page?
I use it from the console, because I think there is no way to see it as a web from Plesk.

Thank you.,

If you were unable to access the FTP services then chances are you had been blocked by your own firewall, this could have been caused by you using wrong logins more than 5 times (which I think is the default count before blocked).

If you were unable to access the websites through the browser (then again could be the same cause above)

If you were unable to access the FTP services then chances are you had been blocked by your own firewall, this could have been caused by you using wrong logins more than 5 times (which I think is the default count before blocked).

If you were unable to access the websites through the browser (then again could be the same cause above)

According thank you very much for the reply.
And you know if there is possibility of using Plesk 12 CSF from the website?
Without having to handle it from console?
Thank you.

@Tize,

Even though I am not in favour of using CSF, there is a paid-for Plesk extension: Danami's Juggernaut (which has an UI).

The link: https://www.danami.com/products/plesk-extensions/juggernaut-security-and-firewall

However, you should note that CSF itself is not really unique, with the exception of one component in CSF: LFD (Login Failure Daemon).

The problem with CSF on Plesk is that Plesk ships with Fail2Ban, with Fail2Ban actually doing more or less the same as LFD.

Plesk Firewall AND Fail2Ban AND CSF/LFD are using iptables, which can cause problems.

The combination of CSF and (on the one hand) Plesk with Fail2Ban or (on the other hand) Plesk with Fail2Ban + Plesk Firewall is very dangerous: you could end up with a huge set of iptables rules and most of them can or will be double, with a huge penalty on performance AND even the complete deactivation of the (iptables) firewall in exceptional cases.

In short, make a choice between CSF OR Plesk Firewall + Fail2Ban, do NOT use them together.

I would recommend to use Plesk Firewall + Fail2Ban, simply because of the convenience of having (easy, user-friendly) components that are shipped by default with Plesk.

That choice certainly keeps you and your Plesk instance up-to-date, without any worries.

Hope the above helps and gives some explanation (as requested).

Regards.....

@Tize If you have any questions about Juggernaut Security and Firewall just give me a PM and I would be happy to answer any questions you my have. :)

@Tize,

Even though I am not in favour of using CSF, there is a paid-for Plesk extension: Danami's Juggernaut (which has an UI).

The link: https://www.danami.com/products/plesk-extensions/juggernaut-security-and-firewall

However, you should note that CSF itself is not really unique, with the exception of one component in CSF: LFD (Login Failure Daemon).

The problem with CSF on Plesk is that Plesk ships with Fail2Ban, with Fail2Ban actually doing more or less the same as LFD.

Plesk Firewall AND Fail2Ban AND CSF/LFD are using iptables, which can cause problems.

The combination of CSF and (on the one hand) Plesk with Fail2Ban or (on the other hand) Plesk with Fail2Ban + Plesk Firewall is very dangerous: you could end up with a huge set of iptables rules and most of them can or will be double, with a huge penalty on performance AND even the complete deactivation of the (iptables) firewall in exceptional cases.

In short, make a choice between CSF OR Plesk Firewall + Fail2Ban, do NOT use them together.

I would recommend to use Plesk Firewall + Fail2Ban, simply because of the convenience of having (easy, user-friendly) components that are shipped by default with Plesk.

That choice certainly keeps you and your Plesk instance up-to-date, without any worries.

Hope the above helps and gives some explanation (as requested).

Regards.....

Hello, thank you very much for your help and comment. What I have in mind.
Receives a warm greeting.

Hi.
After researching this for setting up a new server - I have concluded that CSF | LFD is better for one main reason... I can easily add country lists to be banned.
Fail2ban does not - to my knowledge - allow this.

We get hit regularly from certian countries (iraq / iran / syria ) among others. Banning these is easy in CSF.
If you don't need this ability fail2ban in Plesk is _much_ easier to use.

@wmgilligan27

Fail2Ban is just as able as any other solution to ban specific countries: it simply requires a custom filter, action and jail.

Moreover, CSF is not comparable to Fail2Ban: CSF is a firewall that works with iptables, while LFD (included in CSF packages) has comparable features to Fail2Ban.

In short, just having iptables and Fail2Ban works just as fine (or even better) as CSF with LFD (read: Login failure daemon).

However, neither of them is actually up to the task of blocking entry completely: both LFD as Fail2Ban are "log scanners", which implies that something has to be logged first, before LFD or Fail2Ban can act upon the concerning log lines.

The above implies that you are "simply too late": every first couple of connections from a specific country is NOT blocked by LFD or Fail2Ban.

Is that a problem?

Yes!

A lot of connections from blocked countries are not blocked at all, due to the processes and workflows in (on the one hand) iptables + Fail2Ban and (on the other hand) CSF + LFD.

Can you improve that?

No, not really, unless you are willing to enter millions of IPs or thousands of IP ranges to your firewall (read: iptables) manually.

In conclusion, CSF + LFD and iptables + Fail2Ban are more or less equivalent, given the facts that

- whatever firewall you are using, you are using iptables (!)
- both LFD and Fail2Ban are comparable "log scanners"
- full protection is not guaranteed

For ease of use I would prefer fail2ban. One place to login (Plesk) one place to configure...
How would a person setup a country filter in Fail2Ban via Plesk admin portal?

The above implies that you are "simply too late": every first couple of connections from a specific country is NOT blocked by LFD or Fail2Ban.

Is that a problem?

Yes!
@trialotto I think you are a bit confused as to how CSF country blocking actually works. If you block a country using CSF then the login failure daemon downloads that countries netblocks then adds them to ipset. From that point on it does not have to be logged first in order to block an IP address from that country.

Last edited:
@trialotto I think you are a bit confused as to how CSF country blocking actually works. If you block a country using CSF then the login failure daemon downloads that countries netblocks then adds them to ipset. From that point on it does not have to be logged first in order to block an IP address from that country.
@danami,

In essence, you literally managed to restart a very, very, very old discussion.

Nevertheless, it is good to be clear about things that matter to any sysadmin, especially when those things are related to server security.

First, let's state some facts :

- LFD is packaged with CSF,
- CSF is free software,
- CSF is developed by Way to the Web Ltd (a.k.a. ConfigServer) and they also developed LFD to enhance / improve CSF,
- Juggernaut Security & Firewall is actually a (nice) shell around CSF and is not free,
- CSF and LFD both work independently - two "separate systems" in one package that offer combined strength,
- LFD allows for country blocks and even custom lists - in the CSF + LFD environment, a country block is essentially a custom list,
- LFD is a daemon - as a daemon it works all the time, but it will only periodically scan logs and only logs that are specified in the config files,
- LFD is essentially not different from Fail2Ban with respect to log scanning - both scan (specific) logs periodically,

and there is one major difference between LFD and Fail2Ban : LFD often requires restarts, whereas Fail2Ban does not in identical or similar cases.

It has to be emphasized that any change to CSF and/or LFD will not have any effect, if CSF and/or LFD will not be restarted.

In my humble opinion, that can be problematic - automated/scripted restarts are not always the case and, even more important, CSF + LFD sometimes fails to restart in specific situations, with one of those situations being the overload of logs and firewall during heavy (often distributed) attacks.*

Sure, you are right that country netblocks can be added and be effectively blocked by the firewall - if and only if CSF and LFD are properly restarted.

However, you seem to fail to notice that the country netblocks added by CSF/LFD are not always up-to-date and, even worse, are not adequate in the sense that all IPs from a specific netblock are being blocked, including those IPs from which genuine traffic is originating.

Imagine that....... IPs associated with Plesk are Russian IPs or blocked IPs in general and you suddenly do not get updated!

Imagine that....... IPs associated with Chinese netblocks are fully blocked, whilst your customers do need to contact their Chinese suppliers!

I am sorry, but blocking country netblocks is wrong in every way ........ if you want to protect your server with radical measures, just shut it down permanently.

However, if you want to filter out the bad apples ...... just use a log monitor......... and accept that specific entries associated with bad/malicious traffic first have to occur before the IPs associated with that bad/malicious traffic can be blocked.

Sure, to some extent LFD (as a stand-alone daemon, which is possible) works more efficient than Fail2Ban, but Fail2Ban can be fine-tuned to a higher degree than LFD - this is important when using Nginx as a proxy, for reasons that I will not explain here.

In conclusion, my answer to your post is : yes, you are right within the very abstract and minimal context that you use to discuss this topic.

However, the context should be a little more complex and should also include the facts that

- Nginx can do the same and better and more efficient : just add country netblocks or specific CIDR ranges in the Nginx conf,
- Fail2Ban can be made more performant by fine-tuning rules : this will reduce the performance penalty that is associated with Python-based Fail2Ban,
- Fail2Ban + Nginx can be an excellent combination : a perfect combination will offload the firewall, making the firewall more effective as such,
- a golden rule applies : malicious traffic should be stopped at the lowest entry level (not at the firewall level - this too late : it should not enter the server), **
- optimization rules apply : malicious traffic for the server or the web server should be treated differently (they both require separate countermeasures), ***

and the above is just a simple summary to indicate that this topic should not focus on CSF or LFD alone - there is much more than meets the eye!

In essence, I prefer any Nginx based solution over any firewall based solution - Nginx is more robust and able to prevent or withstand heavy attacks when being properly configured, whereas the average firewall (iptables) is likely to fail or even shutdown the whole server under similar heavy attacks. ****

It is a matter of preference and a matter of knowledge - as such, it is a matter of capability to compare CSF/LFD/iptables with Nginx/Fail2Ban/iptables.

I know that you prefer CSF/LFD/iptables - that is fine.

I know that I prefer Nginx/Fail2Ban (highly modificated)/iptables - that should also be fine.

I hope that you can at least agree with that.

I also hope that you will allow the other Plesk forum members to make up their own mind.

Kind regards.......

* You can test that by simulating a heavy DDoS on your own (test) server, while trying to reconfigure CSF/LFD on that (test) server - it will be problematic.
** This is beyond the scope of this topic. In essence, the firewall level is not the lowest level at which traffic can be blocked.
*** As a golden rule of thumb, the server should be protected primarily by the firewall, whereas the web server should ideally be protected by a proxy (like Nginx for example) with a configuration that is suitable to block all malicious traffic aiming for the web server - this simply implies that the firewall does not have to contain a huge number of firewall rules that are only related to the web server : if the web server is under (heavy) attack, the lean-mean-and-efficient set of firewall rules will still be able to protect the server as such, since it is not likely that the firewall gets flooded by web server related firewall rules. Ideally, the proxy config should be updated dynamically to be able to defend the web server - for that reason, Fail2Ban is optimal : it can be tweaked to write/change the config files of Nginx (and a simple script can then be used to reload the Nginx config files, if and when adjusted by Fail2Ban).
**** In general, this applies. However, the situation described is more in the light of a heavy attack on the web server, to obscure an attack on the server. This is a quite common tactic, as such a reason to make a clear distinction between "web server protection" (via proxy/Nginx config) and "server protection" (via the firewall or other countermeasures on lower entry levels).

Back