• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Formmail Security Problem

D

Datastreet

I have a few clients on my servers using a Formmail.pl script. They are using the latest version of 1.92. It seems like I am getting a ton of failure notices for nonexistant e-mail addresses at the domains. The Spam messages contain the e-mail address in a feedback form multiple times. I have narrowed down that the e-mail is being sent from a few formmail scripts and possibly a PHP problem on one site.

Has anyone had this kind of experience with FormMail.pl. It looks like people can send mail to any address listed at that domain. I know it won't cause a SPAM problem, but are there any other scripts that work well that don't have this problem?

I have enclosed an example e-mail with the domain name changed to domain.com and domain.net (ISP):

i. This is the qmail-send program at domainnet.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
208.189.49.85 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]> User unknown; rejecting Giving up on 208.179.47.75.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: (qmail 10098 invoked by uid 10024); 12 Sep 2005 18:03:21 -0700
Date: 12 Sep 2005 18:03:21 -0700
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: [email protected]

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
() on Monday, September 12, 2005 at 18:03:21
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

textfield: [email protected]

Submit: [email protected]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

FormMail is just a bad idea. There are others out there that are much less problem without the security risk.

I appreciate your response.

Can you list any other ones you recommend?

I would like to use perl if possible.

Thanks

I don't like Perl because it's too resource intensive and too easy to be a problem source.

Check out this one -- http://phpformgen.sourceforge.net. I haven't found it listed in any of the security watchdog sites. The guy who wrote it runs a hosting and programming ISP in Orlando, FL (don't get put off by his name). It generates a new custom php form processing file for each application. My clients really like it.

If I were you I would ban anything formmail.*

Thanks for all your help.

I will check that out.

Can you provide me with any security websites that show FormMail as a security problem?

I would like to show the owner of the ISP I work at....

Back