• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Free trial license cutted down to Web Admin SE Edition?

Hangover2

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

we did just setup a new server based on Plesk Obsidian 18.0.47. After choosing the full-featured 14 days trial license the final setup steps in the browser took unexpectedly very long. Afterwards to our surprise the new installation did only have the "Web Admin SE Edition" of Plesk with all main features missing.

Did Plesk change its trial policy that we are not aware of?

Same here. I clicked the 'full-featured 14 days trial license' as usual (we usually buy a license within 14 days) but end up with "Web Admin SE Edition". That is a very limited version and does not support managing / adding subscriptions. We use Plesk with separate subscriptions per client, so the trial mode is useless for us now.

Secret solved and sad news: I did just read the current changelog again:

Release Notes: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.47

Plesk has changed its trial license limits on September 27. All trial licenses created after that date will be limited to managing three (or less) of the following: domains, domain aliases, mailboxes, mail accounts, user accounts, and web users.

I hope Plesk will reconsider that decision. The trial license of new servers is now worthless for us because we cannot present a possible fully-featured hosting panel solution to our clients anymore.

This will make some of our client having a hard time if they want to migrate some of their clients with hundreds of domain or contents like email etc. Since they need to purchase a new license for them to not having limit in domains or emails.

Even cPanel still gives new server/installation a full featured trial.

This had became backwards move combined with increase in price announced a few days back. Considering no real improvement and new features coming this couple of updates.

Considering a different panel but not yet comfortable with them.

This is ridiculous. When upgrading a server our typical route is to spin up the OS.. install plesk.. trial licence.. copy sites from old server.. shutdown old server.. move licence over. Now only a few domains copy over!! What do you gain from this other than a few days worth of licencing!. Now we are just going to have to buy the new licence ... make the copy then cancel the old.
This is beyond petty
Please reconsider!

For our last server migration I've sent a support request to Plesk licensing and they provided us with a four week full-featured trial license.
Yeah, requires a "manual" intervention to get the same result (well, a bit more in our case, as 4 weeks came in quite handy) as we had out the box before, but in the end it's still possible.

For our last server migration I've sent a support request to Plesk licensing and they provided us with a four week full-featured trial license.
Yeah, requires a "manual" intervention to get the same result (well, a bit more in our case, as 4 weeks came in quite handy) as we had out the box before, but in the end it's still possible.

Thanks, that is extremely helpful.

The "new server with trial license -> plesk migration tool -> shutdown old server -> move license to new server" route was the way I dealt with unsupported OS as I prefer it to the risks of a dist-upgrade. I'm glad that option is still available.

Related to the original topic I have to add, that I did not overlook the change of the trial policy. Plesk added it later to the changelog of Plesk Obsidian 18.0.47.
The "Wayback Machine" did sort it out Plesk Obsidian 18.0.47 - web.archive.org - 28/09/2022. The red "pay attention" is missing in the original announcement.

I really do not like when changelogs are edited some days later as we maybe miss important information for our upgrade process. We would very appreciate if Plesk would not do this in future changelogs anymore.

Back