• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FreeBSD Upgrade breaks perl5.8.8?

CruzMark

Regular Pleskian
I just upgrade a FreeBSD 6.2 box to Plesk8.3 from 8.2.x (whatever the most recent rev was). Now perl is core dumping any time I try to run MCPAN or install a p5 port.

This happened during installation, and the installation "failed", but the control panel shows I'm running 8.3. Mail::SpamAssassin and dependencies couldn't install, due to the perl issue.

I've never seen perl core dump so badly before. Any ideas? Is the perl installed with Plesk on FreeBSD straight from ports? If so, I suppose I can just reinstall from there.

Any advice? Anybody?

Thanks.

plesk repository has pre-compiled perl-5.8.8_1.tbz and other p5 modules in http://autoinstall.plesk.com/PSA_8.3.0/update-pkg-FreeBSD-6.1-i386/packages/All/ .. if currently installed perl version is older then this one, then Plesk downloads and installs his perl package instead..

I already had the freshest perl and perl modules installed before plesk update to 8.3, so that plesk updater did not touched my perl and I did not have this problem.. use gdb to examine core file and try to recompile perl from ports instead of using this plesk's perl package

I downloaded the most recent port and installed it, but am still getting dumps.

I don't understand this output of gdb... maybe someone can help?

gdb perl5.8.8 perl5.8.8.core
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `perl5.8.8'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/mach/CORE/libperl.so...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/mach/CORE/libperl.so
Reading symbols from /lib/libm.so.4...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libm.so.4
Reading symbols from /lib/libcrypt.so.3...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libcrypt.so.3
Reading symbols from /lib/libutil.so.5...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libutil.so.5
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach/auto/List/Util/Util.so...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach/auto/List/Util/Util.so
Reading symbols from /libexec/ld-elf.so.1...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
#0 0x280ff34d in Perl_sv_setsv_flags ()
from /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/mach/CORE/libperl.so

Thanks in advance.

in Perl_sv_setsv_flags ()
from /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/mach/CORE/libperl.so

very shitty error, i met this one when I tried to recompile perl with increased FD_SETSIZE.. Once it appeared, I was not able to be out if it, neither freshest perl port nor restoring FD_SETSIZE back and rollback to previous perl sources helped to me..

The only working way for me was to take perl package from RELENG_6_2_0 from ftp.freebsd.org, and then `pkg_deinstall -f` current perl, then`pkg_add` taken perl package and then `portupgrade -f p5-\* mod_perl\*`...

however when i repeated perl recompilations a couple of weeks later, they were made ok and no problems appeared, so that the reason is still unknown for me...

Did anyone ever get an valid answer for this or an easy solution?
I just hit the exact thing on upgrade from 8.3 to 8.4...

> p5-Scalar-List-Utils-1.19,1 Perl subroutines that would be nice to have in the
> perl core
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> .if (${.CURDIR:N*/ports/lang/perl5.8} == "")
> WITHOUT_PERL_64BITINT= yes
> .endif

Plesk adds the above to /usr/local/etc/make.conf and rebuilds perl.
Problem Is that the modules that were previously installed are not all
binary compatible.

*all* p5 modules with XS parts must be reinstalled because perl without 64-bit ints and perl with them are not binary compatible.

Before doing that, however, please pkg_delete -f p5-Scalar-List-Utils-1.19,1 or the like.
- this should solve the immediate problem. You might want to
reinstall that later (although there might be no need since somewhat older
version of Scalar-List-Utils is included in 5.8.8 distribution).

Back