• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FTP don't answer after Plesk auto-update

Pascal_DEVIF

New Pleskian
Hi,

After each Plesk auto-update FTP server don't answer anymore.
We have to restart it with this commande line :
/etc/init.d/xinetd restart

Can you fix this please ?
Or a way to fix waiting an official one ...

Could you please provide more details:

- OS and Plesk versions
- version of installed microupdate
- any related error messages from logs
- any additional details

Thanks.

but i have the problem since almost 3 weeks or more. So perhaps since 12.0.18.

Which log do you want ?
I don't see any log for ftp in /var/log
And i see nothing in syslog except ftp service restart.

Last edited:
Show me output of following command:

# cd /tmp
# cat autoinstaller3.log | grep xin

cat autoinstaller3.log | grep xin

add to install list libxinerama1-2:1.1.2-1+deb7u1
add to install list xinetd-1:2.3.14-7.1+deb7u1
libxfixes3 libxft2 libxi6 libxinerama1 libxml-commons-external-java
x11proto-core-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev xinetd
libxi6 libxinerama1 libxrandr2 shared-mime-info libgtk2.0-0
psa-spf2 psa-mail-driver-common postfix-pcre xinetd plesk-mail-pc-driver
Get:70 http://mirror.debian.ikoula.com/debian/ wheezy/main libxinerama1 amd64 2:1.1.2-1+deb7u1 [16.9 kB]
Get:217 http://mirror.debian.ikoula.com/debian/ wheezy/main xinetd amd64 1:2.3.14-7.1+deb7u1 [149 kB]
Selecting previously unselected package libxinerama1:amd64.
Unpacking libxinerama1:amd64 (from .../libxinerama1_2%3a1.1.2-1+deb7u1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package xinetd.
Unpacking xinetd (from .../xinetd_1%3a2.3.14-7.1+deb7u1_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up libxinerama1:amd64 (2:1.1.2-1+deb7u1) ...
Setting up xinetd (1:2.3.14-7.1+deb7u1) ...
Stopping internet superserver: xinetd.
Starting internet superserver: xinetd.
Registering the "headers" resource "mixing-desk".
Starting xinetd service... done

Yes it seems to run but when we try to connect it refuse connection ...
And after a restart it's ok.

And as we can see it is started 4 times at end of update ... perhaps this is the problem.

Hello,

I pointed to the same problem.

I have a Plesk 12.0.18 and Debian 7.8 server, all updated to the fullest.
Besides automatic updates have them in manual mode because of this. I thought I was the only one but I see more people with this problem.

If you have any solution a notice would be appreciated.
Thank you very much.
A greeting.

Hello

We also have the same issue, xinetd fails to restart properly after Plesk MU updates. Restarting via command line resolves the issue "/etc/init.d/xinetd restart"
This occurs on 2 of our Linux servers both running Plesk 12.0.18 on Ubuntu 10.04.2.LTS.

We have since temporarily disabled automatic updates to avoid causing issues with customers accessing their sites using FTP but would prefer a solution to the issue so we can auto update again.

Hello

We also have the same issue, xinetd fails to restart properly after Plesk MU updates. Restarting via command line resolves the issue "/etc/init.d/xinetd restart"
This occurs on 2 of our Linux servers both running Plesk 12.0.18 on Ubuntu 10.04.2.LTS.

We have since temporarily disabled automatic updates to avoid causing issues with customers accessing their sites using FTP but would prefer a solution to the issue so we can auto update again.

Paul,

Your issue with xinetd should be fixed when using Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS.

In short, perform an upgrade of the Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx).

However, before (in-place) upgrading of the Ubuntu OS, I would strongly advise you to consider

- a clean install of (at least) Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS (Precise Pangolin) (or better, Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS)
- a clean install of Plesk
- migration of the Plesk server

and all the above on a new server (this is a method, resulting in the smallest number of problems encountered, if any are occurring).

Kind regards.....

Thanks for the quick response, we are actually already in the process of building a new server as you advise but it could be another month before we have everything ready to go and start migrating. In the mean time to fix the issue we would like to upgrade the current Ubuntu to 10.04.4 LTS but want to make sure upgrading the op system on a live production server wont cause other problems or break plesk? If there is any chance of problems from that we would prefer to hold out till the new server is in place and for the time being just manually update plesk as they become available.

Thanks for the quick response, we are actually already in the process of building a new server as you advise but it could be another month before we have everything ready to go and start migrating. In the mean time to fix the issue we would like to upgrade the current Ubuntu to 10.04.4 LTS but want to make sure upgrading the op system on a live production server wont cause other problems or break plesk? If there is any chance of problems from that we would prefer to hold out till the new server is in place and for the time being just manually update plesk as they become available.

Paul,

If you want to, I can help you with providing a test environment, for both a new server (with, for instance, Ubuntu 14.04) and testing your specific server settings.

This test environment can then be used for a test migration (good practice, when migrating), in order to check for specific issues.

I will mail you, keep an eye on your inbox (conversation part).

I hope that will speed up the whole process of migrating (that should not take one month).

Kind regards.....

@IgorG,

A "heavy" fix in MU#36.

My question is twofold:

- on the one hand, I did not incur any of the problems fixed (problems encountered by many Plesk customers), are the problems distribution or setup configuration related?
- on the other hand, can the KB article be more specific/eloborate about the situations in which specific problems occur?

In general, besides the two questions above, it would be nice or desired if Plesk customers can use some standard format, in order to represent Plesk and OS settings.

That way, replicating errors is more easy for community members, willing to test a problem and solution thereof.

Kind regards...

Back