• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FTP problem (530) for ALL sites - Help!

Chris Buckley

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

We have a new dedicated server with the following spec:

- Windows 2008 64-bit R2
- Plesk 10.3

We are having trouble with FTP access for newly created websites in Plesk. We've created new sites with FTP accounts just as we have done hundreds of times before on two other servers (running 8.6 and 9.5). This time, every time we try and connect to the new site via FTP we get the following message.

- 530 User cannot log in, home directory inaccessible.

I have checked permissions and all seems fine. I have just checked a couple of settings in IIS and enabled the following:

- Basic Authentication
- Allow All Users

Every site we test gives the same result though, so I'm really struggling now. I have read tons of forum threads over the last 24 hours, and the sites are correctly being created. For example, one site has the following two folders:

- C:\inetpub\vhosts\marcinkiw.com
- C:\inetpub\vhosts\Servers\4\localuser\marcinkiw

Any ideas? We currently have just one IP which is setup for shared hosting. Any help much appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi,

This is not the problem I am having. The problem is with the new way that Windows Server 2008 R2 manages FTP Publishing.

In IIS I have managed to get a single FTP account working for each specific IP. I have one IP address which will be shared and used for multiple websites, but can only a single FTP account working, which is the Default Web Site. All other FTP accounts created then login into this folder instead of their specified one.

I have ready numerous posts and articles, yet none seem to shed any light.

We have 5 sites all of which work on dedicated IP's and creating FTP accounts for these is fine as there is only the one site. However we obviously need to manage multiple accounts on a shared IP as well.

Shouldn't Plesk handle all of this instead of me having to go into IIS and select "Add FTP Publishing" for websites. FTP accounts created in Plesk simply result in the "home directory unaccessible". How do we designate more than one FTP site running off a shared IP?

Any help would be much appreciated as we are currently going round in circles.

Regards,

Chris.

Last edited:
I think the issue is that you are going into IIS7 and creating FTP sites. You shouldn't have to do this for any Plesk server. Once you create a site it will correctly create an FTP site for it. Your FTP sites are most likely in IIS 6 and not in IIS7 .

I would delete any FTP sites you have created and run these two commands to reconfigure FTP for all your sites

"%plesk_bin%\ftpmng.exe" --remove-all
"%plesk_bin%\ftpmng.exe" --reconfigure-all

Also, assure you are using the IP address that the domain is assigned to. You can't use different server IP even though its on the same server.

Hi,

I agree with you that I shouldn't have to go into IIS to configure the ftp sites, this is what Plesk should do. However none of the ftp accounts would let me connect after just setting them in Plesk - they all gave "home directory inaccessible".

So there is no choice but to use IIS for this. Not sure what you mean about IIS6 - it is definitely IIS7. We are running Windows Server 2008.

I will try the commands you listed and report back.

Chris.

Those commands should get your FTP working again.

As for the IIS6 and IIS7, Plesk will use IIS6 for just FTP and IIS7 for sites. But you can have everything running on just IIS7 which I guess you have . I attached a screenshot of IIS6 and IIS7 installed on a plesk server.

Attachments

• IIS.PNG
    IIS.PNG
    12.7 KB · Views: 35
I've just run both those commands, and can see ftp sites created with each IP address (we have 1 shared, and 6 exclusive IP's currently). The commands seemed to complete ok.

However I still get the same message when I try to login to one of the shared IP sites "home directory inacessible".

So it hasn't helped.

Incidentally, I only see one entry for IIS in the adminstrative tools - "Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager". This opens up IIS7.

Any more ideas?

These are just a few other things that I can think of

1. Try restarting the IIS Admin Service
2. Reset the password for the domain in Plesk
3. Delete the '.security' file in the domain's home folder and then run a permissions check using this command

C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin>reconfigurator.exe /check-permissions=DomainName.com

Ive been helping with the problem that Chris has had and using Process Monitor found that the FTP client is looking in a different folder to what the user account is being set up in - therefore pulling up the 530 error.

As shows in the first post the FTP file it has set up is:

C:\inetpub\vhosts\Servers\4\localuser\%username%

Whereas the folder it is looking for is:

C:\inetpub\vhosts\Servers\4\%HostName%\%username%

I can copy the folder from the localuser to the %hostname% folder and connect no problem.

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change to get plesk to create the username folder in the %hostname% folder? Or is this set up in IIS??

SOLVED!! I had the same issue, after creating users in pleask. I am running II7 w2k8 r2. Everything softwarewise looked perfect. Standard & new ftp users creaetd would not be able to login with ftp credentials. After investigating how plesk creates users, ftp user isolation by username. How users are added to active diretory. All look perfect but still would not login stating the following:

- 530-User cannot log in.
- Win32 error: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
- Error details: An error occured during the authentication process.

The answer was simple, add your activedirectory domainname in front of the username while loggin in user ftp.

ftpusername = domain\username or domain/username (both worked for me).

I hope this helps someone. It took me over 2.5 hours to not find anything in the forums or google.

GraspConcetps.com

DOUBLE SOLVED!!! To build on GraspConcepts solution, you can make it so users don't have to type 'domain/username' as their username. Instead, do the following:

In IIS7, click on the server, then:
- open ‘FTP Authentication’
- RC 'Basic Authentication', Enable
- RC 'Basic Authentication' again, Edit, and change the default domain to either your domain name or the name of the server.
- Restart the Microsoft FTP service.

Once you do this, users won't have to type domain/username anymore, they'll be able to just use their username.

Padmasree

I am having a similar issue in Plesk 11, have not been able to resolve it still. I have been facing issue only for domain names that are longer than 10 characters.

I've run into the same issue, and when checking the .SECURITY file, I see the SID's being used for each user, but I am not seeing these SID's within the system registry even though the users are created within Plesk and the System.

SOLVED! SERVER NAME LONGER THAN 10 CHARACTERS IS THE PROBLEM!

I'd like to respond to this post, as we've recently taken on a brand new server which had the SAME problem as my original problem in this thread.

We never solved the original issue, and resorted to a bunch of workarounds.

After tearing my hair out at the repeated frustration, I initially thought that GraspConcepts and cfhostings solutions might be the answer (as I've not visited this thread since my last post). However, they also both did not work.

However, I'VE NOW FOUND THE SOLUTION.

The problem was caused by the name of our server being longer than 10 characters, in the same way that PadmasreeH had a problem. Our old server name was 18 characters long, as our host had used the main IP in the name. Renaming this to something just 8 letters long solved the problem instantly (after a reboot).

Why isn't this more widely known? Plesk dudes, I'd like to say that all the solutions you offered merely served to drive me mad and make us go constantly round in circles trying multiple settings.

Sorted.

Back