• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue FTP Storage Settings Password not filled in

We are Borg

New Pleskian
I have an issue with FTP(S) Storage Settings, i fill in all fields but i get the following error below:

Code:
Error: Unable to access the storage: Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: (28) Timeout was reached: Last FTP request: PASS ***** Last FTP response: 331 Password required for Username
Make sure you have entered the correct storage settings. You can check them independently with the command:
curl -v -P - --ssl -k -u Username 'ftp://userdomain.dynamic-dns.net/backup/'

The password is filled in and is correct if i do curl then i get the following:

Code:
root@ip:~# curl -v -P - --ssl -k -u Username 'ftp://mydomain.dynamic-dns.net/backup/'
Enter host password for user 'Username':
*   Trying myip...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to mydomain.dynamic-dns.net (myip) port 21 (#0)
< 220 nas FTP server ready.
> AUTH SSL
< 234 AUTH SSL command successful.
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
*   CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
  CApath: /etc/ssl/certs
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Server hello (2):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Certificate (11):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server key exchange (12):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Request CERT (13):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server finished (14):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Certificate (11):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client key exchange (16):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS change cipher, Client hello (1):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* SSL connection using TLSv1.2 / ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
* Server certificate:
*  subject: C=TW; L=Taipei; O=Synology Inc.; CN=synology.com
*  start date: Dec 17 12:10:44 2016 GMT
*  expire date: Sep  3 12:10:44 2036 GMT
*  issuer: C=TW; L=Taipei; O=Synology Inc.; CN=Synology Inc. CA
*  SSL certificate verify result: unable to get local issuer certificate (20), continuing anyway.
> USER Username
< 331 Password required for Username.
> PASS mypassword

I have no idea why Plesk FTP(S) Storage Settings is not reading the password i filled in.

"Unable to list directory" is not a problem that occurs during login. You are successfully connected and logged in to your FTP server. But to do transactions, high port ranges are needed, e.g. anything between 49152-65535, and if these are blocked by a firewall, further FTP transactions time out. You need to check your local firewall settings and allow traffic to pass through these ports.

It is the same issue as described in  Unable to connect to a Plesk server via FTP in the passive mode but in this case it applies to your local network and router.

How does this translate into the error message. I can’t test anything because Plesk believes the password is empty but its filled in.
In Plesk Firewall i have openend ports 55536 to 57583. At my home i made the rule that port 21 needs to be forwarded to internal ip to port 21, i have added a rule that ports 55536 to 57583 need to be forwarded to 55536. The ports where taken from the Synology settings.

If i disable port forwarding at home i get:

Code:
Error: Unable to access the storage: Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: (28) Timeout was reached: Last FTP request: Last FTP response: 
Make sure you have entered the correct storage settings. You can check them independently with the command:
curl -v -P - --ssl -k -u Phylogenybackup 'ftp://mydomain.dynamic-dns.net/Phylogenybackup/'

If i DMZ the internal ip i get:

Code:
Error: Unable to access the storage: Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: (28) Timeout was reached: Last FTP request: PASS ***** Last FTP response: 331 Password required for Phylogenybackup
curl -v -P - --ssl -k -u Phylogenybackup 'ftp://phylogenyexplorerproject.dynamic-dns.net/Phylogenybackup/'

I’m at a loss here.

It really has nothing to do with Plesk. Plesk does not believe anything about the password or any other settings. It is a network port issue with your local network or router. Your FTP server cannot be accessed and used from the outside or is not communicating with incoming FTP traffic for some unknown reason.

I just tested again but now with the understanding that i was provoking intruder alert on my system. Connect to FTP credentials with wrong pass etc, the system responded by blocking the IP address of the Plesk server (removed it from being blocked). Going to test further when i get access of FTP client out side my known network for more testing.

@Peter Debik is there a way to lookup what password is used currently for the FTP Storage Settings. Because i'm now getting the error Login Incorrect:

Code:
Warning: Unable to access the storage: Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: (67) Login denied: Last FTP request: PASS ***** Last FTP response: 530 Login incorrect
Make sure you have entered the correct storage credentials. You can check them independently with the command:
 curl -v -P - --ssl -k -u Phylogenybackup 'ftp://phylogenyexplorerproject.dynamic-dns.net/Phylogenybackup/'

Cant remember the old password, if i have that i can alter the FTP server login and it should be working.

You can reset the FTP password in your account in Plesk. Login to Plesk, go to the subscription, click the FTP icon, click the FTP user entry, set a new password.

Not what i mean or want, the Storage Settings still uses the old password i set last year. I want to lookup that password in the system i know there is a shadow file for Linux where passwords are stored is there the same for Plesk passwords used.

Only the hashed passwords can be retrieved, e.g. from the database by issueing this statement:
> SELECT sys_users.home AS domain, sys_users.login,accounts.password FROM sys_users LEFT JOIN accounts on sys_users.account_id=accounts.id ORDER BY sys_users.home ASC;

Update:

Can't get the old password because its to well encrypted and that is a good thing.

If you go to Home>Tools & Settings>Backup Manager>Remote Storage Settings and i try to alter the password the password change is not recorded to the database the old password stays in place.

Back