• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FTP Uploads and AnonFTP Failed

calderwood

Regular Pleskian
After upgrading from 7.5 to 8.0 on Linux, I have a server wide error affecting all clients for FTP upload. :confused:

I can ftp download without error, but any ftp upload stops if the file is more than about 1mb depending on connection speed. It is not timing out and I have added a 30min timeout to the PROFTPD.conf file. Tried everything.

If uploading from a MAC, you get a Socket Error, and on a PC it is either, transfer stopped, try again, or critical error.

The error has also caused the AnonFTP site to stop allowing incoming uploads. You can open the FTP site, copy a file, it starts the upload, then dies.

Here is the ftp record for an attempt:
Command: SYST
Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
Status: Starting upload of C:\My Documents\Workfile\flash test\tnt_eng_32106b.wmv
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
Command: CWD /httpdocs/video/
Response: 250 CWD command successful
Response: 257 "/httpdocs/video" is current directory.
Command: TYPE A
Response: 200 Type set to A
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (68,178,206,***,***,***).
Command: LIST
Response: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
Response: 226-Transfer complete.
Response: 226 Quotas off
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (68,178,206,***,***,***).
Command: STOR tnt_eng_32106b.wmv
Response: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for tnt_eng_32106b.wmv
Error: Upload failed
Status: Starting upload of C:\My Documents\Workfile\flash test\tnt_eng_32106b.wmv
Command: TYPE A
Response: 257 "/httpdocs/video" is current directory.

Still have this problem

We still have not resolved this problem. Does anyone else have it, or is it my server.

I am also having this problem. My provider however says I am crazy and doesnt have problems uploading files to my server.

Every file I upload thats more than 1-2 megs gives me this error:
450 Transfer aborted. Link to file server lost.

I'm on a redhat ent 4, plesk 8 machine.

Now I have the problem

It appears that we are now having the same problem, but it only happens after 30 seconds, so that if you have a very fast connection, you can easily upload a file as large as 30MB, but the slower your connection the smaller the size of the file you get an error on. The problem started with the upgrade of Plesk to 8.0.1 - I'm about to try a few things - will report back on what happens.

Uninstall did not work

So I removed psa-proftpd and psa-proftpd-xinetd from the server, then did a fresh install from the Plesk CP updater but we astill have the same problem.

Have you tried turning off the firewall?

Run /etc/rc.d/init.d/psa-firewall stop

after running this i can make ftp uploads without a problem. But, I see nothing that should cause connections to be dropped in my firewall configuration..

Yes that did it

Originally posted by bs0com
Have you tried turning off the firewall?

Run /etc/rc.d/init.d/psa-firewall stop

after running this i can make ftp uploads without a problem. But, I see nothing that should cause connections to be dropped in my firewall configuration..

Worked like a charm. I had previously uninstalled the firewall module from the Plesk CP but I still got the errors, I had opend up many potrs, etc. I guess turning it off the firewall at the root is the answer. Now I just need to find a way to have a forking firewall and FTP together - did you find a way?

FTP uses port 21 (TCP) and 20 (UDP) for it's transfers. If you're blocking either, or having it time out on either, it could be causing that problem. This may NOT fix exactly what caused the problems you're having, but it may be just what the doctor ordered. Hope that gives you some help.

--John

Back