• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved FTP user and pass not working on FileZilla

Ron L

New Pleskian
Hello Plesk Community,

I have a dedicated server through 1and1.com, this server is running CentOS with Plesk, version 17.5.3.
Currently I am only running one domain on this server for testing and we are having an issue with our FTP access.
For some reason, when I create an FTP user and pass, these do not work with FileZilla or any other FTP access software.

I keep getting error messages on FileZilla (see below). I called 1and1 support and they are not sure what is causing this issue. I would really appreciate if someone can help out if they know anything or if they have experienced such a problem before.

Note that under "Tools & Settings" --> "Security Policy" --> "FTP Usage Policy" --> the second option is checked for "Allow both secure FTPS and non-secure FTP connections".

Here is the errors I have been getting:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.5d Server (ProFTPD) [74.208.230.209]
Command: USER magicpay
Response: 331 Password required for magicpay
Command: PASS ********
Response: 230 User magicpay logged in
Command: SYST
Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
Command: FEAT
Response: 211-Features:
Response: MDTM
Response: SSCN
Response: TVFS
Response: MFMT
Response: SIZE
Response: PROT
Response: CCC
Response: PBSZ
Response: AUTH TLS
Response: MFF modify;UNIX.group;UNIX.mode;
Response: REST STREAM
Response: MLST modify*;perm*;size*;type*;unique*;UNIX.group*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner*;
Response: UTF8
Response: LANG en-US*
Response: EPRT
Response: EPSV
Response: 211 End
Command: OPTS UTF8 ON
Response: 200 UTF8 set to on
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is the current directory
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (74,208,230,209,234,98).
Command: MLSD
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank You,
Ron.

Problem fixed. This the the fix per 1and1 -

I've looked into this issue and could see that the current firewall configuration on the server was cassing passive FTP connections to timeout.
I've set a valid passive port range in your FTP configuration and opened that range in your firewall, I'm now able to connect successfully through FTP without issue.

Problem fixed. This the the fix per 1and1 -

I've looked into this issue and could see that the current firewall configuration on the server was cassing passive FTP connections to timeout.
I've set a valid passive port range in your FTP configuration and opened that range in your firewall, I'm now able to connect successfully through FTP without issue.

What's the range of ports you used?

What's the range of ports you used?

You may have better luck starting your own thread since this one is old and already marked resolved.

You can define your own range as long as the ports are open in the firewall, as well as configured properly in the FTP server's config. Plesk documentation uses 57000-58000 as the range which is what I personally stick to as well.

Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.6rc2 Server (ProFTPD) [*********ip]
Command: AUTH TLS
Response: 234 AUTH TLS successful
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Could not connect to server

I can't log in through FileZilla, please help me, with this problem. Thanks!

Hi aleksandr.horbanov,

I suggest creating a new thread because this thread marked as resolved.

It looks like you faced with not the same issue. Could you provide in the new thread part of the log with tcp port that used for the connection? Did you test connection without TLS?

Back