• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Full backups are not sent to FTP repository: The backup process failed

WebHostingAce

Silver Pleskian
Hi,

I'm using Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 MU #30

I still receive following error, while scheduled full backups, unless I have about 40% of free disk space.

"Error: The backup process failed: Not enough free disk space to backup selected objects. At least #### Mbytes free disk space is required."

What could be the issue?

Thank you.

The disk space might be sufficient, but in this case, it is not the disk space, but the maximum capacity of the temporary directory and/or partition that is configured as the backup temporary directory in the backup configuration file /etc/psa/psa.conf. For example:

# Backups directory
DUMP_D /var/lib/psa/dumps
DUMP_TMP_D /usr/local/psa/PMM/tmp

Do these directories (the directories that your installation is using, they might be different from this example) have enough free space?

Thank you @Peter Debik

This is my available disk space,

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_vmx-lv_root
82G 48G 30G 63% /
tmpfs 4.2G 0 4.2G 0% /dev/shm
/dev/xvda1 477M 126M 327M 28% /boot

Both DUMP_D /var/lib/psa/dumps and DUMP_TMP_D /usr/local/psa/PMM/tmp are in /dev/mapper/vg_vmx-lv

Should I always have about 30% - 40% free disk space in order to create full backups in FTP repository?

According to this Full backups are not sent to FTP repository: The backup process failed: Not enough free disk space to backup selected objects. FTP repository backups should be able to regardless available disk space.

Thank you.

The article mentions:
"There is insufficient free space or free inodes on the partition where the /usr/local/psa/PMM/tmp/ directory is located. Before uploading backup files to a remote FTP repository, Plesk creates an archived copy of the backup files in /usr/local/psa/PMM/tmp/ (in /var/lib/psa/dumps/ for Plesk 12.5 ). It then uploads them from this directory to the remote FTP-server."

Thank you @Peter Debik

Isn't it for Plesk 12.5?

They have given Resolution as 'Perform the upgrade to Plesk Onyx' and I'm already using Plesk Onyx.

I upgraded from Plesk 12.5 while ago. Do I have to adjust any setting?

Yes and no. The article is for 12.5, but the situation has not completely changed in Onyx. The difference in Onyx is that backups can be created partially, and data can then be appended to archives in the FTP storage area. But there is still a certain temporary backup space required. The temporary space required in Onyx is smaller than the one in 12.5, but it is not zero. Backups are always created locally into a .tar archive, and from there they are transported to the external FTP storage space. For that local part, an unknown temporary capacity and an unknown number of inodes are required.

If you are on a virtual server, it is possible, too, that the backup space is sufficient, but the number of inodes that the system can handle is exceeded. On a dedicated server this is unlikely.

Back