• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question General Question about Incremental domain backups: how to restore?

Paul Larson

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian 18.0.48
I backup server domains from our host to a local drive. Historically I've just run rsync for full backups, not incremental.

But I'd like to cut down on the daily bandwidth usage for download Full backups.

If I have a collection of incremental Plesk domain backups, how easy is it to collect and restore them?

Basically the same way as you do any restore, choose a restore point you'd like you restore from, select what you want to restore (rather that's the whole subscription, whole domain, mail, files, whatever), and whatever file. It'll look through all other incremental and full backups for the latest version based off of the restore point like any other backup technology.

Thanks!

Specifially, armed just with those files, how would I restore those back to Plesk?

With the FullBackups, I was pretty low-tech. I would download the large compressed tarball, and get what I needed.

But that was pretty easy with one big file.

How does it work with incremental? Is there a 'starter' file (weekly, daily, monthly?) and then the incremental files? And by the filenames I could reconstruct into a backup?

(I should mention: my starting point would likely be from my offsite backup, independent of Plesk)

If Plesk can import/upload incremental files, even better.

The "starter" file is you full backup. Increments work the same like full backups, but they do not contain all data. Instead they only contain the portion that has been changed. Databases are always included in full in the increments, though. You can upload increments to the locally stored backups just as you can do it with the full backups.

Back