• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Getting error when trying to set SmarterMail 14.7 to be default email server

Commander

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Windows Server 2022
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.48
I installed Smarter Email on a godaddy widows 2022 VPS running Plesk 18.0.48.

Plesk sees the install of Smartermail, but when I try to set smartermail as the active mail server from within plesk, I get the below error.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated because this has me wasting hours of time :(

Unable to set SmarterMail Server 14.7.6347 as the default Mail Server: defpackagemng failed: Execute mchk.exe C:\Program Files "(x86)\Plesk\admin\bin\defpackagemng.exe" failed with error code 1: at (execPleskUtil line 120) at Unable to execute command: C:\Program Files (x86)\Plesk\admin\bin\mchk.exe C:\Program Files "(x86)\Plesk\admin\bin\defpackagemng.exe"(execPleskUtil line 126) at Unable to call execPleskUtil(mchk.exe (execPleskUtil line 134) at Update()(VSmarterMailPackage::Update line 334) at doSetPackage(mailserver, smartermail)(VPackageManager::doSetPackage line 548) at (VPackageManager::doSetPackage line 551) at setDefault(mailserver, smartermail)(VPackageManager::setDefault line 484) at (VPackageManager::setDefault line 503) at setDefault(mailserver, smartermail)(VPackageManager::setDefault line 506) at (VPackageManager::setDefault line 509) at Unable to execute console command: '--set'(vconsoleapp::start line 95) at Unable to execute command: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Plesk\admin\bin\defpackagemng" --set "--type=mailserver" "--default=smartermail"'(vconsoleapp::run line 117) (Error code 1)

Was there ever a resolution to this?

Facing same issue -- except on Plesk Obsidian 18.0.51#1

Did you followed the instructions outlined in Using Other Mail Server Software ?
Seriously? I mean I get it that y'all get a lot of noobs on here but I'm finding it really hard to not be insulted by this. Of course I read the manual -- which is not accurate, by the way. You cannot set the hostname AT ALL when attempting to configure a local server - it's a locked field - and ours is locked with localhost. We can't set the 127.0.0.1 IP -- so that needs attention on it's own. This is not my first rodeo - been running Plesk since version 8.

That said - we've gone through re-installing Plesk on this image over half a dozen times -- with or without MailEnable - with SmarterMail installed before and with it installed after the plesk installation -- they ALL end up with the same issue when attempting to configure SmarterMail.

This is from the Plesk debug log when attempting to switch (or enable - doesn't matter):
Code:
2023/04/20 04:59:20.250 8332 4348 Error: Execute mchk.exe C:\plesk\admin\bin\defpackagemng.exe failed with error code 1: 
   at (execPleskUtil line 120)
   at Unable to execute command: C:\plesk\admin\bin\mchk.exe C:\plesk\admin\bin\defpackagemng.exe(execPleskUtil line 126)
   at Unable to call execPleskUtil(mchk.exe (execPleskUtil line 134)
   at Update()(VSmarterMailPackage::Update line 334)
   at doSetPackage(mailserver, smartermail)(VPackageManager::doSetPackage line 549)
   at (VPackageManager::doSetPackage line 552)
   at setDefault(mailserver, smartermail)(VPackageManager::setDefault line 484)
   at (VPackageManager::setDefault line 504)
   at setDefault(mailserver, smartermail)(VPackageManager::setDefault line 507)
   at (VPackageManager::setDefault line 510)
   at Unable to execute console command: '--set'(vconsoleapp::start line 95)
   at Unable to execute command: 'C:\plesk\admin\bin\defpackagemng --set "--type=mailserver" "--default=smartermail"'(vconsoleapp::run line 117)

This is from the Plesk error log at the same time:
Code:
[2023-04-20 04:59:20] 9464:6440fee840bd4 ERR [panel] C:\plesk\admin\bin\defpackagemng --set "--type=mailserver" "--default=smartermail" failed with code 1.
stdout:
Execute mchk.exe C:\plesk\admin\bin\defpackagemng.exe failed with error code 1: 
   at Unable to execute command: C:\plesk\admin\bin\mchk.exe C:\plesk\admin\bin\defpackagemng.exe(execPleskUtil line 126)
   at doSetPackage(mailserver, smartermail)(VPackageManager::doSetPackage line 549)
   at Unable to execute command: 'C:\plesk\admin\bin\defpackagemng --set "--type=mailserver" "--default=smartermail"'(vconsoleapp::run line 117)
stderr:

Please advise. We have 12 days left on the trial license on this instance and we're trying to get some form of functional configuration before buying another license. We want to migrate from one Plesk server with MailEnable Professional to the new VPS with SmarterMail (we are no longer comfortable running and paying for mail server software that hasn't been updated in over 5 years with a company that seems to barely be hanging on). We can handle the migration part if we could just get the damned SmarterMail server and Plesk talking to eachother.

SERVER DATA:
Windows Server 2022 Datacenter Edition / AWS
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.51 (plus patches)
32GB/4 vCPU
SmarterMail 100 (most recent release with 30 day trial license until we fully activate - but supports all features in current state).

With a trial license there should be free support included. For that reason it may be best to let support staff solve this for you. https://support.plesk.com
The support desk does not allow a ticket submission with a trial license. I already have two other licensed plesk installations - but cannot submit a ticket on the trial license that comes with Plesk... Submit ticket options are greyed out.

Additionally, this can't be a one-of situation. This is a default install of MOST RECENT Plesk and a default install of MOST RECENT SmarterMail, then a complete wipe, and second attempt -- both times including all found KB articles relating to SmarterMail.

In the end, Plesk is trying to execute mchk.exe which is failing at SetMapsProtection() function:
Code:
2023/04/20 03:07:27.291 8628 6712 Error: Key not found
   at setMapsProtection()(SmarterMail::Local::Provider::setMapsProtection line 485)
   at Unable to execute console command: '--all'(vconsoleapp::start line 95)
   at Unable to execute command: 'C:\plesk\admin\bin\mchk.exe'(vconsoleapp::run line 117)
2023/04/20 03:07:52.572 6828 7592 Error: Execute mchk.exe C:\plesk\admin\bin\defpackagemng.exe failed with error code 1: 

If the articles that Mark and I does not help, I would recommend that you do what Peter said, get a 30 day trial of the support subscription and get the support directly from Plesk.

Back