• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Google Verification

P

paul roach

We use the sitebuilder tool through lcn.com.

It is 4.5 for linux/unix - Ihave asked lcn and they have told me that you cannot use either of the two methods google needs to verify.

I have searched this forum and cannot find an answer - please could someone tell me how to do this?

I cannot believe that a sitebuilding software solution will not allow me to verify a site with Google.

Look forward to a positive response.

Paul

No - this does not work

I have tried to do this but it does not work.

Please reply with

1) Where shoudl the script go? Is this on the home page? Does it go anywhere on the page or should it be placed before any text?

2) Google has two verification methods - adding a meta tag or an html file. Whihc one should I put in the script box? and should I put the code in full with the < > at the beginnning and end?

Could you please have a go at verifying one of your own sites in Google to see how this works and issue instructions.

Paul

Anyone have the time to reply?????

Can anyone at Parrallels consider this and see if there is a way to verify via Google please........................

A simple way...

I haven't fully verified this approach but....

In /usr/local/sitebuilder/htdocs/templates/your_template, edit the file template.xsl. Insert the Google Anayltics script just before the </body> tag and publish. I found that the script was now present in every one of my web pages by viewing the page source. Much easier than recompiling a template or trying to use the script module.

Verified and Solved

The insertion of the Google tracker code as I mentioned in the previous post works fine. All templates have an associated template.xsl file.

mdiberi - thanks for your replies - I still need more help

Thanks for your reply - sorry I have not got back sooner - Can you, if you have a minute, just let me know the steps to go through - the only templates I can get are the standard sitebuilder ones - I don't know how to do this step

/usr/local/sitebuilder/htdocs/templates/your_template, edit the file template.xsl.

that you put in your reply - I cannot edit the template in this way

Sorry to be a pain - help would be appreciated (again)

Thanks Paul

Paul:

You have to edit template.xsl in vim from the command line or some other file editor. You can't do this from SB. Do you have SSH access to your server? I think you might be able to do this from Plesk but I don't know for sure.

First you need to find the directory of the template you are using. It is found in /usr/local/sitebuilder/htdocs/templates. The templates are numbered as you can see in the SB Wizard. In my case I am using interior_and_furniture-004 so the location of template.xsl is in /usr/local/sitebuilder/htdocs/templates/interior_and_furniture-004. There you will find the file template.xsl for that particular template. All templates have that file. In your editor find the </body> tag. Paste the google script right before that tag. Save and then your done.

If you can't actually edit the file you will have to ask your site administrator to do it or someone who has access to your host server.

Who can edit a template?

Can I do it myself or do I have to go through the company who hosts my Sitebuilder account?

HOw does one create an html file?

How does one insert script before the body tag when one cannot access the html and therefore cannot find the body tag!

please, please, someone help!

You don't have ftp access to your hosting account?? All you have to do is ftp to the root directory of the hosting account and drop the html file in it.

This cannot be done via the sitebuilder application. The only way is to use FTP and upload a file as per Googles instructions or to use the method as per editing the template.xsl

When the script module is used Google cant read the code as it looks for it before the last </head> tag.

Given how important Google is and how windely used Googles tools are this should be a feature in sitebuilder but this goes back to earlier posts and the fact sitebuilder doesnt support SEO very well.

You guys are awesome!

Thanks for showing me how to verify my site!

Continuing this subject, now about changing template location.

Hello!
Hope any of you guys can help me here. I went through the same difficulties, and through Hostgator and no support by Parallels I struggled a lot to get scripts in my page. Realized it only works in Internet Explorer, and not with Firefox.
The other thing is, when dragging the scripts into the page (in Sitebuilder), they can only stay in the top of the page. It looks really weird because you don't want a banner or widget on top of your brand or text; I think it's better mixed around, either to the right or left or bottom.
I wonder if I can specify in the html where to put the script without interfering with the business, nor template.
Another thing is how to make the scripts in the blog pages. I will try now your strategy by templates with Kompozer, because I don't know how to just drop a new file / script directly in my FTP account.
Sorry for being so iliterate in the subject.
Thanks a lot!
CAROL

Back