• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Got dam spam filtering is a sham!

A

admin123

Plesk spamassassin spam filtering works not at all. No matter what i do i get 100 spam a day. I even put the exact email address in black list to not come through and it comes through. What a sham. And yes, it is running, i checked in shell.

When i was on CPanel, as soon as i initiated spamassassin, my customers and I got 1 or 2 spam a day.

This better be fixed soon or CPanel host, I will become.

Instead of griping, you might do something useful like including snippets of the maillog file which pertain to your e-mail address. You might also trying being a bit proactive and watching your logfiles while sending an email from a "blacklisted" domain.

Just saying "IT'S BROKE, FIX IT" isn't cool and will get nothing accomplished.

Logfile for mail is usually in /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog on my FreeBSD Box. I'm not sure where yours would be as you provided exactly no information.

I'm gonna have to...

Pound your pancake head for that "idiot" remark!

Originally posted by admin123
Plesk spamassassin spam filtering works not at all. No matter what i do i get 100 spam a day. I even put the exact email address in black list to not come through and it comes through. What a sham. And yes, it is running, i checked in shell.

When i was on CPanel, as soon as i initiated spamassassin, my customers and I got 1 or 2 spam a day.

This better be fixed soon or CPanel host, I will become.

1. If you were happier using CPanel, then by all means, it is your choice to either go back to it or stay with Plesk, or use some other control panel (I see you have found Webmin in another post).

2. Each company (CPanel, Plesk, etc) can have radically different Spamassassin defaults. It is left up to the hosting admin (you and I) to check the exact settings and make adjustments as needed.

3. Blacklists - if you are entering the email address found on the 'From:' line of the email, then you may not be doing yourself any good. You should be checking the email headers for the address listed in the 'Reply-to:' field, since this may be the actual originating address.

4. Spam in general - Over the years I have seen spammers devise new tricks in defeating anti-spam programs. You cannot rely on a single method to get rid of spam anymore. It is no longer a simple process to just block an email address or a domain, since there are many many ways to forge these. Another thing they can do is to fake your SMTP helo/ehlo so your SMTP server (not just on Plesk) thinks it is receiving from a valid authorized domain (your own).

5. Plesk vs CPanel vs Ensim vs etc - Many of the problems posted on this forum can also be found in the competition's forums as well. Eventhough I don't use CPanel or Ensim, I do still lurk about on their forums to see what's going on in their worlds. CPanel's forum seems to be more active than the Plesk forum, leading me to believe that there are at least as many (if not more) problems people are having while using CPanel.

6. Life and choices - Life is a series of choices. Some good, some bad. With each choice we make, we either find it to be a good one or bad one. We hope to make good ones, but inevitably we will make bad ones. If your choice to switch from CPanel to Plesk is bad for you, then you have to decide if you want to stay or go back to CPanel. Ultimately, it is *your* choice.

If you choose to stay with Plesk, then please try and be more detailed when posting your problems. Information as to your server such as OS version and things, checking/posting parts of pertinent log files, and in general being more detailed and clear in your problem description would help us to help you.

Getting into flame posts with others is counter productive for all who use this forum, but more importantly, in my opinion, it reflects poorly on you as a member of the human race. (no offense intended). I am not condoning voodoochile's remark (which has been edited out), but to respond to it is in poor form.

Now, if you would like forum members to continue to assist you in diagnosing/solving your Spamassassin problem, please provide us with more detailed information/config/server specs so we might help you get to the bottom of the problem.

Hey, you didn't edit out the idiot remark..

It's in another post. I'm gonna have to pay him a personal visit and put a hell of a lot of tabasco sauce in his gringo chile.

Anyway, my simple solution to spam is in the headers. cpanel offered a simple switch in which you would enter something such as this:

*spam@myemail.*

And then, spamassassin would eliminate the above from ALL headers. I would get practically no spam. No problem. loved it.

Now with plesk, i tried using asterisk with email and i don't think Plesk likes that. and I'm sure it is not filtering from all headers. (as you stated)

It is easier for plesk to have spamassassin filter from all headers rather than you and me manually selecting email addresses from our email headers and entering them in. Ten times more work.

But as i said, it is a simple header problem for me and if I could do the above, all would be fixed.

That's why i'm pissed, it's a VERY simple solution that is not built into plesk's uses of spamassassin.

Back