• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Grant external domain access to SQL server

N

Nethers

I am extremely confused (not an unusual thing in itself!) over how to set up the following :

Grant SQL access for accounts that we set up for users running PHP scripts on other domains (not hosted on our server). I assume first we would need to have something like mysql.ourdomain.com as the URL with appropriate DNS record pointing to the IP address of the server. But that's where I hit the brick wall - what happens next? I can't track down a way of doing this with Plesk (7.5 Reloaded) and haven't found any clues as to what needs to be done in Unix/MySQL to be able to do it.

As I sit here staring at the vertical face of a very steep learning curve......is there a patient and kindly soul who might be able to help a total beginner......

Hi Justyxxxx - Thanks very much for your reply.

I read that post but wasn't sure how that could do it, as I understood from your explanation that the MySQL server would look for the individual IP address of each machine connecting. Obviously in the scenario I described I won't know the IP address in advance, and anyway it could change on each connection from the same user. Would it work if I put in my server's IP? (I suspect not!)

Well, if you don't know the ip addresses of these people that are trying to access the MYSQL server, then you are correct that the procedure that I posted won't work.

I would think (but don't know) that you could grant access to everyone to a particular database if they knew the user/password, but someone else would have to post that because I'm unsure of the command line.

OK - Thanks again Justyxxxx - At least I did get the plot!!! I'll have another wander through the forum to see if somebody else has found the way to do this....or if anybody knows the secret I'd be delighted to share!!!!

Back