• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question handle dns by hand on an old plesk server

Umsid

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 16
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18
Hello, I am Guenter and I am new here in this forum.

I have the following problem:
I have an old running plesk Obsidian V 18.0.34 Server on Ubuntu 16.04.1
I installed a new server with Ubuntu 20 and updates also Plesk.
The migration works fine without only one domain, which is unsing an old PHP 5. The customer, who owns this domain works hard to update the website for running on an new php version.
Plesk support told me, that it is possible to install also an old php5 version on new server, but after more month, they told me, that they did support this installation and that I didn't get any longer a migration license key for the old plesk server.

Now, the old server runs without any plesk desktop and I am waiting for this customers update to transfer the last domain to the new server.

But: And here is my problem:
I have to update the dns settings for the domain running on the old server, I have to add a subdomain, which looks to another ip address, so the customer can test his software also on a server with actual php.

My question: can anybody help me to add this subdomain by hand with sudo nano to the old server, so that I can use this only subdomain on new server vor developing?
I am no linux professional :-(

Thanks
Guenter

Is your old Plesk server also your nameserver for the domain? In that case you can simply add the subdomain to the DNS table in your old server.

Is your old server not the nameserver, but do you have a nameserver elsewhere? Than you can add the subdomain route to your nameserver that you have elsewhere.

Hello Peter,

thanks for your answer.
First choise is the correct one, the plesk server is also the nameserver. BUT:
I didn't have access to plesk desktop, cause migration key is out of date.

Now I have to add the subdomain manualy to the DNS table and I do not know how and where this files are stored.

May be, you can help here.

Thanks
Guenter

Can you edit zone files in /etc/bind/ or /etc/bind/zones. You'll find lots of articles on how to do that on Google.

Would it not be much easier to user the new Plesk server as the nameserver for the domain(s)? Or another server where you have a graphical user interface?

I have root account for the old server.
So I will try to search for zone files tomorrow and/or change nameserver to new server
thanks
Guenter

Back