• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Hardening Wordpress on Plesk with Nginx

BizMarquee

Basic Pleskian
I've got Wordpress running with permalinks no problem using pure NGinx, but have one major issue and that is security. Usually with Wordpress I use an .htaccess file to block any .php file from running in the uploads folder. I found this directive from several resources:

location ~* /(?:uploads|files)/.*.php$ {
deny all;
access_log off;
log_not_found off;
}

However, when I plug it into Plesk's window for the nginx directives and save it, it has no effect and php runs just fine in the uploads folder.

Has anyone gotten this to work somehow? Or am I putting this code in the wrong place?

.htaccess rewrite rules are different then nginx rewrite rules. There is an extention that is called "htaccess to nginx" to "Convert apache htaccess rewrite rules to nginx rewrite rules automatically."

maybe that is what you need?

regards
Jan

Nope, the rewrites for the pages and permalinks work great with that extension, it's the restricting of executing PHP in the uploads folder that I can't seem to make happen.

Ah that makes sense! Thanks! Speed needs to be sacrificed for security, but security is more important, to me.

Back