• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question Has deleting the backup files/dirs any impact on the following scheduled backup runs?

WoBITs

New Pleskian
Background:

A client asked me to devise a solution for the download of the backup files/directories after they are created on the server. The backup's target storage being /var/lib/psa/dumps or an FTP server does not matter.

I had a look at the backup files and found that there are files within which could be used by later (incremental) backups.

My question is now:

If I delete all the backup files after downloading to the client's local computer (one of the clients requirements), will there be problems with the next backup execution of the scheduled backup or are the the following executions totally independent from the previous ones (I am considering from where Plesk "knows", in the case of an incremental backup, which files/directories have changed and have to be backuped. I guess it's the mtime, but I cannot be sure of course)?

Greetings

WoBITs

Last edited:
An incremental backup works only if you have created a full backup once.(Plesk does this automaticly)
An incremental backup only saves the things that have changed since the last backup.

So if you delete this fullbackup plesk will automaticly create a new full backup, because plesk need's this to restore an backup.

In Case you want to restore a backup from a timestamp that has an incremental backup (for example) plesk need the full backup + incremental backup.

Back