• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

help with email

K

kdumas

I just recently got a virtual server with plesk. I need to figure out what I need to tell my customers to enter for their outgoing server. I have my server with godaddy. They told me to use k2smtpout.secureserver.net but this creates an error. Godaddy said that this is the outgoing server to use in Plesk but that doesn't help me figure out what to tell my customers to enter in the Outlook Express program. Please help. I am very new to this.

Do I have to set up an outgoing server? If so, how in the world do I do this?

I'm using sdwebserver.com as the nameservers for hosting.

It's easier to tell you customer to use THEIR isp connection outgoing SMTPserver.

The alternative is to setup SMTP auth on your plesk box.

I have this issue ... and will use the ISP in most cases ... but it would be nice to have this functionality ...

When you say "The alternative is to setup SMTP auth on your plesk box." ... can you provide details ... maybe point us to some documentation ???

Thanks !!!

what to use as outgoing smtp?

I have everything in the Server set up as explained in the documentation you sent. However, I'm not sure what to put in the outgoing server area in Outlook Express. I've tried many different things. It does work if I put in my isp outgoing server but I can't make it work with my server. The domain I'm working with now is paulajhung.com.

I've tried:

mail.paulajhung.com

along with godaddy's outgoing server that they had told me to use but it doesn't work. Do I have to set up something in the domain registration for paulajhung.com? MX record?

sdwebserver.com is the domain that I set up to use for the hosting nameservers. Do I use this?

Setting up SMTP authentication on your Plesk box is needed but unfortunately is in most cases not enough.

GoDaddy for instance requires all your mail to go through their relay server, which is k2smtpout.secureserver.net

The outgoing SMTP server for you e-mail client app (Outlook, etc...) is
mail.yourdomain.com

Don't forget to set authentication to the same used on the POP server.

Now you need to create an smtproutes file for your server. Not through the Plesk control panel (I don't think it's possible) but through a SSH client, for instance Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/).

Login as root
Go to the folder /var/qmail/control
If smtproutes file doesn't exist create it
This file should have 1 line with:

:k2smtpout.secureserver.net

I think you need to stop qmail service before create/changing the smtproutes file and after this you'll need to restart it again.

If you are not familiar with the commands for SSH Client you should find lots of docs on the net. Focus on cd and vi which are the only 2 I needed for this op. You might have to do a qmail stop and a qmail start but I think for this the Plesk CP is usable.

Post back if you need more help.

Cheers,

Miguel Almeida

stop qmail

I'm not sure how you stop and start qmail. I'm guessing I should not try having my own virtual server if I have not been properly trained on everything involved with having one. And how does one get properly trained? Would you agree? Godaddy didn't have a problem selling me on one but no where does it say, don't bother if you don't know how to administrate a server.

PS no pun intended but whatever hardweb from 4PSa says you can take as gospel.

Hope this helps.

Regarding miguelal's response ... totally agree with what needs to be done ...

Except I see the missing smtproutes file as a bug, it should be established automatically ...

I'm with GoDaddy also, and had the same issue, I'm an admin by trade so fixing it wasnt a problem ... but if you have an issue, call GoDaddy support and they will make the changes for you ... in this case, they are aware of the relay file issue, they have a script they can run to correct it ...

As for the outlook outgoing smtp, the correct setting would be ... mail.YOUR-DOMAIN ... in your case ... mail.paulajhung.com

Now what I just found out, could not believe it ... my ISP is blocking port 25 ... so here's running it through my ISP (SBC) ...

>telnet mail.paulajhung.com 25
Connecting To mail.paulajhung.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed

... and here's running it from another hosting account (during the telnet session I typed in "ehlo" and "quit"
) ...

-jailshell-2.05b$ telnet mail.paulajhung.com 25
Trying 216.69.172.67...
Connected to ip-216-69-172-67.ip.secureserver.net (216.69.172.67).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 dumaswebdesign.prod.phx1.secureserver.net ESMTP
ehlo
250-dumaswebdesign.prod.phx1.secureserver.net
250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING
250 8BITMIME
quit
221 dumaswebdesign.prod.phx1.secureserver.net
Connection closed by foreign host.

So it looks like you have smtp, you need to see if the ISP is blocking ... hope this made sense ... Todd

Back