• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

High Availability using 2 server cluster

B

BrianDns

Hello all,

This is my first post here although I have been a Plesk user for a long time now.

I have a problem I am trying to solve. The object is to achieve high availability (99.99%+) and uptime using 2 servers. The only software on the servers that requires a license is Plesk, so my bigest questions lie there.

Here is what I had in mind:

I install 2 servers with identical CentOS configuration and Plesk.
Server 1: DELL PowerEdge R410
Server 2: DELL PowerEdge 1950

Server 1 is live on the internet and that is where users get servered from. Server two is just sitting there receiving routine data syncs. I figured I could install the same sever setup on both servers, configure the same settings then use rsync to keep server 1's data in sync with server 2. The only thing I am not sure about is the databases.

Also, I would like to avoid having to pay for 2 Plesk licenses so can I keep 1 server as a nonactive version and the live server as the active version.

Also, I would not be apposed to just stripping it down to the basics: Apache, PHP, MySQL, Python, etc and have the second server use not control panel but maintain the settings Plesk has on Apache to just simply server the files while I repair the first server.

Im still trying to wrap my head around this, so I am very open to any suggestions.

Anybody?

So in order to achieve HA you are using a master-slave architecture with the slave acting as a hot copy.
As the slave is a perfect functionally server, I think there is no way to avoid paying the license fee.
However ask sales dpt!

Thats what I was hoping not to hear.

My understanding of Plesk is that it just runs on the top level and offers a GUI to control the Apache/web server files.

I may be completely wrong here, but would it be true that you can strip Plesk and have just the bare bones to host the sites via apache?

Back