• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue High FTP cpu load after 17.8 upgrade

speedbird

Basic Pleskian
Hey guys,
today I upgraded from 17.5 to 17.8 and noticed massive increase in cpu usage whenever there's an ftp connection up und running.

What could cause this possibly?
Any ideas?

Added a graph of my cpu usage. you can easily see when I did the upgrade. Have two protfpd tasks showing up in top when uploading something. Those spikes are from a regular recurring ftp upload that is done to my plesk server. This is really annoying to have.

Tried FTP and FTPS but both with exactly the same problem.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-12 um 20.14.58.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-12 um 20.14.58.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 7
I could narrow this down a bit further. The most usage is seen when there's a directory listing going on with plenty of files and directories in it. However it was fine before. Can anyone give information about a possible proftpd downgrade to the version used with 17.5 ? Something must have changed with that version that leads to this high cpu usage.

Alright Plesk team, I think this is a bug related to proftpd 1.3.6 or its inclusion to Plesk.

I set up a testing virtual machine with 17.5 – which comes with proftpd 1.3.5d. I then uploaded an unzipped WordPress installation. While doing so, proftpd caused between 3-8% of cpu usage. I then uploaded the same directory again, causing just as much load (replacing everything).

Then I upgraded that installation to 17.8 – which comes with proftpd 1.3.6. Uploading the same WordPress files into an empty folder caused around 40-60% cpu load from proftpd! It became even worse when I uploaded everything again with the option to replace all files. While running the LIST / MDTM cpu usage was constantly around 100%. There were two processes shown in top – one running the MDTM and other commands and one only showing IDLE. Both however showed around 100% load!!

My server runs CentOS7.5

If any of you guys could please look into this! Others users might as well try this approach. Just upload or re-upload some folders with many files and directories in it and watch what happens in top with the proftpd processes.

@plesk team any ideas or a solution maybe?

Before you ask: I also tried reinstalling proftpd. Same result. Also I switched off AllowOverrides. Same result. Just don't really know what to do anymore.

It's really annoying to have the server significantly impacted in performance just because some uploads something.

I know only this issue related to high cpu usage by ftp Plesk Help Center
Try to reinstall all updates with

# plesk installer --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --upgrade-installed-components

and if not help - contact Plesk Support Team. They will check and fix this issue directly on your server.

Hey Igor,
thanks for your feedback. However, that's not the issue. There's no high load while putting a backup to another ftp server. That runs smooth. It gets choppy as soon as files are uploaded to my server via FTP.

There seems to be problems with this in 1.3.6 on other occasions as well. The same problem ist documented here:
https://forums.proftpd.org/smf/index.php?topic=12217.0

No solution has been found there. So I guess it's a general problem, only some people just have not noticed it yet. I most likely wouldn't have either had I not looked into the graphs and saw this weird looking sawtooth usage spikes. Only then I went ahead to see where it comes from.

So is there any way to downgrade to 1.3.5d ? That version ran really smooth with me.

// EDIT //
Since I've bought the key from my reseller, I cannot use Plesk official support.

Last edited:
Back