• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

horde "top news" unwanted addon after upgrade

G

gill

hello, after my last update, loggin in horde webmail i see "top news" frame with various notices.

i don't need to show, how to remove?

tnx

g

You Said it!

Wait 'till it starts overloading your MaxClients connection and kills your server.

I rolled back to 3.1.1 of the PSA-Horde RPM to get rid of it.

I can't imagine that horde.org allowed the inclusion of that piece-o-garbage in the otherwise functional interface.

It's like forcing a banner advertisement in your webmail application...

NOT COOL!

yeahh carliebentley, exactly a banner spam.

i don't want it. there's a way to turn it off or the only is to downgrade?

i'll write to swsoft too

The only way I found to fix it...

The only way I found to remove the SPAM banner is to roll back to to the 3.1.1 version of the PSA-Horde RPM.

I spent the last 12 hours getting rid of it, and trying to locate the problem.

I did not loose the mail in the mailboxes when moving back to version 3.1.1

I'm sending angry letters to SWsoft, Horde.org, and several other people for good measure.

ok, for those u want to remove that shi*:

edit file /usr/share/psa-horde/templates/portal/sidebar.inc

go to line 102 and comment it out

/**
if (window.NewsFeeds) {
window.NFopen = (readCookie('plesk_newsfeed_visible') == 'false') ? false : true;
document.write('<div id="NFcontent" class="sidebarPanel ' + (NFopen ? 'NFopen' : 'NFclose') +'">');
document.write('<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="" width="100%" border="0" class="sidebarHeader"><tbody>');
document.write('<tr>');
document.write('<td class="headerTitle"><?php echo _('Top News'); ?></td>');
document.write('<td class="headerButtons"><a href="javascript:NFgetList();" class="btn-refresh" title="<?php echo _('Refresh'); ?$
document.write('</tr>');
document.write('</tbody></table>');
document.write('<div id="newsFeeds"></div>');
document.write('</div>');
if (window.NFopen && readCookie('horde_sidebar_expanded') != 'false')
NFgetList();
}
**/

anyway swsoft CANNOT include indiscriminately that SPAM

cya

Thx for the fix, I saw that when I rolled the latest build. Annoying feature.

I love how the build changelog reads for that:
2. [+] Top News newsfeeds are now available in Webmail interface

"Now available" as if its a feature you can turn off within the PSA interface, which obviously isn't the case. There is probably another way to disable it within Horde, but not something thats readily available for PSA customers. The Horde admin interface I believe is burried above the IMP source directory that "webmail.yourdomain.com" calls the application from. I'm sure a hack can be made to the httpd.conf entry that handles webmail.*somedomain* calls adding access to the Horde admin interface.

Usually here: $PRODUCT_ROOT/psa-horde/admin/

Webmail loads from $PRODUCT_ROOT/psa-horde/imp/

Anyhow thx for the quick fix. I enjoy hacking up SW's configs.

J

You can also just comment out the HTML script call instead.

Earlier in the script look for:
<!-- newsfeeds -->
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
document.write('<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="http://'
+ location.hostname + ':8880/javascript/newsfeeds.js.php"></' + 'script>\n');
</script>

And put HTML comment tags around <script></script> as such:
<!-- newsfeeds -->
<!--
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
document.write('<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="http://'
+ location.hostname + ':8880/javascript/newsfeeds.js.php"></' + 'script>\n');
</script>
-->

This accomplishes the same thing, but stops the call earlier and more cleanly.

Thx
James

I just installed the hotfixes a couple of days ago that added this "feature" and I just discovered today that it also appears on the skeleton domain page when you add a new domain.

I really wish SWSoft would release *REAL* changelogs with their hotfixes so I'd have some idea what the updates were screwing with...

I've been told by our sales rep that this 'feature' was requested by the high level execs and there are no plans to remove it nor are there any plans to let us disable it in a clean and easy manner; so be prepared to set up cron jobs to hack the code after every patch that comes down. We're thinking of moving on to a different product over this as our customers think we put this garbage there and are either advertising to their customers or trying to make pay per click revenue off of them when really it's swsoft trying to do both of those things to customers they don't have the right to do that to.

Back