• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Horde Webmail - too many hops problem

D

datapencil

Hi,

I finally got the Horde Webmail working thanks to etan. Now I am having a weird MAILER-DAEMON failure notice when I try to email one of my domain webmail accounts. The message says:

"IP address" failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 554 too many hops, this message is looping (#5.4.6)

What is too many hops? Any advice for a newbie? Thanks!

The too many hops error is usually due to faulty mail forwarding causing a loop. Do you have forwarding set on the account you mailed to or from?

How Did You Fix SMTP Problem?

Datapencil,

Did you have to have the account rebuilt? I'm having the same exact problem, (with the localhost:25), and I'm not a wiz at the technology. My tech person's stumped, so your help is appreciated. Thanks!

The reason why this is happening.

Go Daddy only allow you to use there mail server on your virtual server to send OUT smtp traffic.

( You recieve email from your own smtp server. )

Something is happening, where your mail server and godaddys mail server is having a fight in regards to who should send it.

Im 99.99% sure its there fault.

Flick me an email alex...

Great, thanks to your insightful posts, now I know what's causing the problem. The question I am left with now is: how do I fix it? Nathan, I read part of the message you sent to datapencil and I see that this particular line needs to be removed: /var/qmail/control/smtproutes :k2smtpout.secureserver.net, however, I don't even have a qmail directory set up in my file manager. Am I missing a step? I got another reply to my posting saying that the mail server is not part of the package I purchased, that this must be purchased separately. If that is in fact the case, how am I still receiving some (though not most) of my e-mails?

novice610

You do infact need to keep :k2smtpout.secureserver.net
in your smtproutes

For some reason, i do not know WHY, but go daddy insist that you use there mail server to send all outgoing messages.

You will not find qmail in your file manager, you need to log into your server via SSH to pinpoint your exact problem.

Qmail come with plesk standard, if you have plesk, u have qmail.

Back