• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Unable to Access Webmail through Plesk after service changed hands.

justinp

New Pleskian
Hello all, so I'm administering a server running Plesk Onyx (currently version 17.8.11) formally through Media Temple. Not too long ago though MT was phased out and integrated into the main GoDaddy system. Recently we've had trouble accessing webmail, the only error is:

Login failed because your username or password was entered incorrectly. (Note we're using horde for the interface, I tried installing Roundcube but it keeps failing.)

Now I've tried creating new addresses with new passwords and still get that error. I've double and triple checked the emails and passwords and I don't believe it's actually a misspelling, issue. I'll also note this doesn't seem to be a server wide issue either, just for a few of the subscriptions on the server. One of our clients was trying to access their email through webmail and that's how we discovered the problem.

One thing I noticed is under the Webserver Configurations Troubleshooter the path to the webmail.conf file for the domain in question, while marked as ok, comes back with Error: No such file or directory when selected. Under the Orig. Template column in the Troubleshooter table there is no link to the webmail.php on that line either. I'm thinking that has something to do with the problem?

Now the domain I'm looking at right now is under a subscription with a few other sites. I thought maybe moving it to its own subscription may do something? Or maybe help the missing config file issue? However when I look at the domain under the current subscription I don't see the link "Move Domain". All I have is Hosting Settings, Open, Preview, Suspend, Disable, Description. Is there maybe another way to move it out into a separate subscription?

I've been on with the server provider and they've been less than helpful. The last tech I talked to said I'd need to create custom nameservers to get it working again?

I've been looking online for answers and I'm really not sure what to try next, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2023-08-28-at-2.02.17-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2023-08-28-at-2.02.17-PM.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 1.58.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 1.58.44 PM.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 6
Is the webmail subdomain routed to the correct IP address? Otherwise you may see a webmail login page that is not your true, current webmail page. For that reason it fails the login.

Login is a very straight-forward, simple process. The login name is your mailbox name, the password is the password of that mailbox. The login procedure is identical to the one that all other mail clients are using. Webmail is nothing else but an ordinary mail client, it works with the same protocols, the same procedures. So when you can login to your mailbox with the username and password through another mail client, it must also work with webmail. "Login failed because your username or password was entered incorrectly." should only be shown if either username or password are incorrect.

Thank you, yes I've double checked the IP for the webmail record. I recognize this should be the case and myself and other admins have tried several times with multiple accounts under the problem domain with no luck. I should also mention that we can use the exact same email address and password that fails the webmail login and successfully login to the main Plesk user panel.

The login name is your mailbox name, the password is the password of that mailbox. These are rarely used to login to the Plesk panel. Could it be possible that you are confusing the control panel login with the mailbox login credentials?

Back