• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

hosting for externally registered domain

F

fiddyp

hosting for externally registered domain help please

I hope you can help, I just got a dedicated server with plesk for 30 domains.
sorry if this sounds dumb!

I have setup the domain on plesk to use physical hosting but the domain name was registered with another company. I can change the nameservers with the domain providers control panel, so do I change the ip address of the nameserver on the domain provider CP to the IP showing on the dns settings in plesk and from then on the domain will point to the hosting I set up in plesk?

I just tried it for domain I have registered a while ago but it doesn't point to the hosting yet, I am guessing that updating the nameservers on the domain provider takes a day or two...

thanks for listening!

The namservers for the domain at the moment will be ns1.yourregistrar.com and ns2.yourregistrar.com (or similar). You cannot set IP addresses for these instead -- you have to use textual names. So you have two options:

1) Leave the namservers as they are and use the DNS adjustments that most registrars usually offer to change the IP addressed for the A records, MX records and so on to match those that Plesk would have configured for the domain. The main thing is to make the A record IPs point to your plesk box.

or

2) Create your own namservers. Again your registrar should allow this, but in a slightly different place to where you edit DNS settings. In this situation you would create your own pair of namservers ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com each pointing to a different IP on your plesk box (you really should have two different IPs for this. If you only have one IP then in some cases you can get away with having both nameservers pointing to the same IP but some registrars won't let you do that). THEN you change the nameservers associated with your domain to be the two you have just created instead of the default ones your registrar had in place previously.

For this one domain only, you also need to have A records in the Plesk DNS for ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com pointing to the same two IPs you specified when you created the namservers via your registrar.

For this and all subsequent domains you add to plesk, you also need NS records of ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com in the DNS for the domain.

For all subsequent domains you add to plesk, all that's then necessary is to change the nameservers associated with the domain to ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com -- you do not have to create individual pairs of namesevers for every domain. The namservers associated with a domain simply dictate where anyone/anything who wants DNS information on the domain should look. In this case you want to tell them that the DNS server responsible for this domain is ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com, which point to the IPs of your plesk box (which you accomplished when you created the namservers via your registrar), and so that's all you have to adjust on a domain to make it all work correctly.

Allow 24 to 48 hours after creating your namservers for them to be fully active. Similarly allow 24 to 48 hours after changing the namservers on a domain for the change to be noticed accross the entire internet.

Faris.

wow, that's probably the most informative response I have had on any forum, thanks!

that really clears things up.
I read and absorbed! and I managed to do it by changing the dns settings on the domain control panel like you said and it went beautifully.

Andy

Back