• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Hostname and IP HELP!

laughingbuddha

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

I'm trying to configure my CentOS 5 Plesk server in my office prior to sending it to the server house.

The idea is to test it here, and check everything works.

The server is using a single network card, and I'm on a LAN behind a Netgear DG834N. I have opened up all incoming ports and pointed them to the boxes internal IP address being 192.168.0.100

During the CentOS 5 install it asks for a hostname. I have a few domains, one being youandtheweb.co.uk which is registered at UKReg, and being pointed to my current WebFusion VPS IP address. I wouldn't mind using a subdomain of that, say homer.youandtheweb.co.uk But if that won't work (which it hasn't) I can use one of my other domains such as ge3k.co.uk (registered with 123 Reg - more advance dns control!) just to test it out.

So say I'm using a subdomain of ge3k.co.uk such as homer.ge3k.co.uk is that what I call my server during the centOS5 install?

During the CentOS 5 install I set the IP settings up as follows:-

IP: 192.168.0.100
subnet/prefix (Netmask): 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1
Secondary DNS: -Blank-

Is that right?

Now I create a DNS record in the 123-Reg control panel pointing homer.ge3k.co.uk to my static IP for my ADSL connection. I guess that's correct.

Previous attempts at installation of Plesk have failed on an error "ERROR while trying to check the hostname" or something along those lines.

Its driving me nuts. I just need to configure it, test then send it to the server house.

PLEASE HELP!

Matt

Hi,

Maybe editing file /etc/hosts and insterting any hostname that you woukd like to use assigned to your private IP address would do the trick.

Regards.

Back