• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved hotmail rejects mail 550 SC-001

geehaa

Basic Pleskian
i can send email to every mail server in the milkyway, (and even to the andromeda system) but just not to hotmail servers.

550 SC-001 Mail rejected by Outlook.com for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your Email/Internet Service Provider for help.

mxtoolbox reports only one problem:
Reverse DNS is not a Valid Hostname

but it is perfectly valid.

i know this issue has been reported several times here but i cant find a satisfactory solution.

what should be done in this case?

mxtoolbox reports only one problem:
Reverse DNS is not a Valid Hostname

but it is perfectly valid.
To be able to send to hotmail.com, live.com & outlook.com you need to be almost impeccable.

I don't think your server's PTR is valid if mxtoolbox says it's not.
As you're not saying what it is I can't tell you what's wrong with it.

If you are trying to run a mail server with a PTR that doesn't match your forward DNS you are a long way from being that.

Some beginner stuff regarding IP/DNS for a mail server
  • DNS should be a sub-domain (not a sub- sub- domain), that means only 2 embedded dots
  • DNS should not contain an IP
  • PTR should match forward DNS (this will proof you have some authority regarding your IP)
  • HELO should match DNS
  • As an extra put this SPF on your HELO: a -all
Like @UFHH01 mentioned, there's much more to it.

When I setup a new mailserver on a new machine I had my mail rejected by hotmail.com even though everything was top notch. It took much correspondence with Microsoft to get it whitelisted.
They insisted it had been sending spam, which was not possible as it was a new server.
They couldn't, of course, give me any proof of that.

For a month I was relaying mail to Microsoft through another server which was fine. After that I was able to send directly..

I think the previous owner of that IP built up some reputation. It's hard to get rid of that.

Last edited:
Back