• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How can i be sure my full hostname is valid ?

Pyloplesk

New Pleskian
Hi, my web-plesk has been moved to a VPS by my host provider, so i'm pretty new at handling this whole thing.

I need to change the full hostname of my plesk server. I have a subdomain plesk.mydomain.com resolving to my server IP. I use it as my plesk panel URL. Can i use the same subdomain as full hostname without risking any server failure ?

Thx :)

Did you also set your hostname in Plesk? In Tools & Settings > Server Settings?
Schermafbeelding 2021-11-25 om 10.23.35.png

If so, you should be good to go. Don't forget to also set the PTR record (reverse DNS) to point to your hostname.

No, that is precisely what i'm afraid of, as i'm not familiar with shell ssh if something goes wrong. Is there anywhere else i should set the hostname ? Can it crash the server or block my panel access if my hostname happens to be invalid ?

I took your advice and also set de PTR record to point to my hostname too.

There is no need for SSH access to set the Full hostname. Were did you get that idea from? It can be done directly from Plesk, as mentioned on my previous post; just navigate to Tools & Settings > Server Setting.

And no, you can't 'crash' your server if you set the wrong hostname. Worst case you can't access your server via the hostname, but you can always access via your servers (primary) IP address.

If I may add also my advice if needed: Do not use generic hostnames from your ISP like: vps-customer-bla-bla.domain.tld. Instead if you have your own valid domain, use this like "www.domain.tld" or "web.domain.tld". Generic hostnames are often seen negative by other mailservers and receiving most negative reputation even if your server doesn´t spam or anything. Make sure your PTR-Record matches your hostname and you are good to go.

If I may add also my advice if needed: Do not use generic hostnames from your ISP like: vps-customer-bla-bla.domain.tld. [...] Generic hostnames are often seen negative by other mailservers and receiving most negative reputation even if your server doesn´t spam or anything.
I don't believe this is true, at least not generally. It is certainly not something I ever encountered in using a general incremental numerical name schema for hostnames.

I don't believe this is true, at least not generally. It is certainly not something I ever encountered in using a general incremental numerical name schema for hostnames.
It is just a suggestion. There is no truth behind it. But i´ve made my experience in the past often with generic hostnames with different ISPs. Therefore I just posted my experience. No need to follow it after all :)

It worked perfectly with plesk.mydomain.com, thank you ! Also renewed SSL certificate with this new hostname. Mail server seems to work fine as well.

As i said, i really am new at this, so thank you for your patience :)

Hi, my web-plesk has been moved to a VPS by my host provider, so i'm pretty new at handling this whole thing.

I need to change the full hostname of my plesk server. I have a subdomain plesk.mydomain.com resolving to my server IP. I use it as my plesk panel URL. Can i use the same subdomain as full hostname without risking any server failure ?

Thx :)
Hello, I'm caught in this same dilemma. Could you please tell me where exactly you did this setting: 'subdomain plesk.mydomain.com resolving to my server IP' ?

I too want to change my full hostname of my server. Although I dont have an email server in my plesk setup except for External SMTP Server (MSMTP) to send plesk related notifications, but for some reason it stopped working and support says I need to "set a publicly resolvable hostname which has a MX record in the field Full hostname"

Back