• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How can I create a wildcard certificate for a subdomain?

josede

Basic Pleskian
How can I create a wildcard certificate for a subdomain with main domain pointing to other server?

Its just to SSL mail.

Last edited:
I am trying to wildcard mail.example.com.
  1. I add subomain mail.example.com
  2. I go to SSL mail.example.com
  3. I add acme in dns zone example.com as _acme-challenge.mail.example.com
  4. I reload the ssl, but i get error:
Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.mail.example.com

• I try: nslookup -type=TXT _acme-challenge.mail.example.com
  • I get:
  • Server: 8.8.8.8
    Address: 8.8.8.8#53
    ** server can't find _acme-challenge.mail.example.com: NXDOMAIN

• I try: nslookup -type=TXT _acme-challenge.mail.example.com mail.example.com
  • I get:
  • Server: mail.example.com
    Address: 203.0.113.2#53

_acme-challenge.mail.example.com text = "yFHaUBDo0THtVyjdmtwmJkgEAmPDemtITjpftHrN9Wg"

So i should "Wait until the DNS propagation". But if i check mail.example.com "A" in DNS Checker - DNS Check Propagation Tool its all OK.

Any advice?

If I get correctly you want to add a wildcard to a added subdomain "mail.example.com" so to get "*.mail.example.com" as an SSL

But if i check mail.example.com "A" in DNS Checker - DNS Check Propagation Tool its all OK.
This will only check the A record you need to get for the TXT one.

If 8.8.8.8 does not yet know it then it is not propagated, double check if the 203.0.113.2 is used as master and not some other DNS server.
You can check it over WHOIS or dig NS example.com @8.8.8.8 +short

I follow your tutorial in plesk about wildcards.
I have a main domain in netlify.
I have mail in plesk.
I added a subdomain mail.example.com
mail.example.com is pointing a record to plesk.
I try to ssl de subdomain mail.example.com
Everytime i get "put TXT jkakjskaksjkasjkahdghdghgdhas" and "Reload"
I do it, and nothing.
ERROR

Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.mail.example.com - check that a DNS record exists for this domain

I checked like 30 times, TXT record exists for mail.example.com (and it changes every time i try to make the ssl)

Last edited:
I suspect that the DNS is managed by netlify if yes then you need to add the TXT there.
If you want PM me the domain and I can double check it

The A record here does not matter, the DNS is handled by namecheap, so the TXT for the Wildcard validation needs to be added there so it can propagate.
Adding it to the DNS inside Plesk will not do anything then providing it locally

I did it

TXT Record_acme-challenge.mail.example.com.r9H3dfgfdgmhLqaU6_7y23pMDfd2XLsB0R4pryA60 min

And i stil have the same error

Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.mail.example.com - check that a DNS record exists for this domain

Anyway If i have my domain pointing to netlify, Can i add custom dns in namecheap to handle DNS in plesk? (My domains hosted in plesk are all of them with custom DNS)

Last edited:
I cannot see it if I ask the Nameserver from namecheap:
1590160973944.png

you can use this command to check it yourself:
Code:
# dig TXT _acme-challenge.mail.example.com @dns1.registrar-servers.com +short
Replace the example.com with your domain.

If you added the TXT inside namecheaps panel and it still does not show up in this command then contact their support to check why it does not propagate

Anyway, its possible to handle dns by plesk? Custom nameservers in namecheap pointing to plesk ( as usual) and then, handle mail in plesk and domain point to netlify.

Back