• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question How do I delete Part of server backups?

calu

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.48_build1800221104.03 os_Ubuntu 20.04
Hi there, I'm trying to clean up some of the backups from the Backup Manager. But these backups can't be removed as they are part of server backup.

I have read this tread about the topic, but are there no other solution to remove these backup than via SSH?

It seems strange that there are no other options for removing these backups in Plesk as they are created by the system itself?

Regards

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2023-01-04 kl. 11.15.03.png
    Skærmbillede 2023-01-04 kl. 11.15.03.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 9
Yes, I manage to delete the files, but a new server backup file is created ?

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2023-01-04 kl. 11.41.47.png
    Skærmbillede 2023-01-04 kl. 11.41.47.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 3
So there is a Backup Manager for each domain and a general Backup Manager trough Tool & Settings, this is a bit confusing, and why are the backup duplicated as a Part of server backup?

Total backups: 2, size: 441 MEntries per page: 10 25 100 All
SCreation dateCommentsSystem notesSize
server
Jan 4, 2023 03:18 AMScheduled Backup. All configuration and content.220 MB
server
Jan 4, 2023 12:03 AMScheduled Backup. All configuration and content.Part of server backup.220 MB

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for deleting the post with server info.

Here is summary of my questions:

1. You can access Backup Manager to ways, through Websites & Domains, and through Tools & Settings. Both have different values and content.
Please clarify the two and the difference between them.

2. The backup is duplicated from the scheduled backup as a "Part of server backup"which doubles the storage ?

3. I have two identical sites but with totally different backup sizes:

Site 1: Disk Usage 2078.2 MB, backup size: 1.19 GB
Site 2: Disk Usage 981.7 MB, backup size: 220 MB.

I can't explain the difference in Disk Usage as the sites are identical, but the backup size is much smaller?

1. You can access Backup Manager to ways, through Websites & Domains, and through Tools & Settings. Both have different values and content.
Please clarify the two and the difference between them.
  • Backups made trough Tools & Settings > Backup Manager are server backups. Which contain server settings and the configuration, mail and website content for all domains.
  • Backups created via the Backup Manager of a domain only contain the configuration, mail and website content for that particular domain.
It's explained pretty well in the documentation here:

2. The backup is duplicated from the scheduled backup as a "Part of server backup" which doubles the storage ?
You mean the 03:18 AM and the 12:03 AM backups? Those seem like two separate backups. Not a duplicate of each other.

3. I have two identical sites but with totally different backup sizes:

Site 1: Disk Usage 2078.2 MB, backup size: 1.19 GB
Site 2: Disk Usage 981.7 MB, backup size: 220 MB.

I can't explain the difference in Disk Usage as the sites are identical, but the backup size is much smaller?
I am not sure if fully understand your question. You are saying you have two domains, let's say example.com and mydomain.dk. Those two websites are identical. Yet you made a backups for each of those domains and the size of those backups are different?

You mean the 03:18 AM and the 12:03 AM backups? Those seem like two separate backups. Not a duplicate of each other.

I did not perform or schedule the 12:03 AM backup
but in size it's the same as the scheduled backup, thats why I call it a duplicate.

I will read the documentation you send, thank you.

S
Creation dateCommentsSystem notesSize
server
Jan 4, 2023 03:18 AMScheduled Backup. All configuration and content.220 MB
server
Jan 4, 2023 12:03 AMScheduled Backup. All configuration and content.Part of server backup.220 MB

Last edited by a moderator:
I see, strange, that's a mystery to me too. I suppose you can delete the duplicate backup if you have no need for it.

Hi there, I read about the two ways of backing up, admin server backups through Tools & Settings, and backup granted to customers through
Websites & Domains.

In my case, I do not run websites for customers, so it is only my own websites and domains I have on my server.

So the question is, which kind of backup I should choose to minimize the server space for backups?

It might be an issue to run the full server backup alone without the option for updating websites individually.

Should I use both backup options, but minimize the full backup of the whole server to once a week with maximum number of full backups set to one, and running website backups daily, using incremental backup and full backup weekly.

Which settings are you using out there to secure backups but not overdue it?

Regards
Carsten

I think, based on your description, that full server backups (trough Tool & Settings) will suffice in your case. These backups contain both server settings and configurations, which are useful incase you want to recover the full server or migrate to another server. And they contain the email and website content for all domains. You can recover individual domains (called objects in the Backup Manager) from a full server backup. Documentation for more info.

Back