• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How do I edit domain forwarder/web site redirection?

D

D2011

I used to be able to do this in the last version, but I cant find where I do it in the new version. I already have a forwarder in place, I just want to change the target.

The help file says:

Redirecting Visitors to Another Site
You can set up a new domain name or reconfigure an existing domain name so that it will redirect visitors to another website.

To add a new domain forwarder:

If you are subscribed to several hosting packages and have access to several webspaces associated with your account, select the required webspace in the Subscription menu at the top of the screen.
Click the Websites & Domains tab.
Click Add New Domain.
Specify the following:
In the Domain name box, type the domain name that you have registered with your service provider or a domain name registration company.
Under DNS server configuration, select the option Keep master DNS zone on this server.
Under Hosting type, select the Forwarding option.
In the Destination address box, type the Internet address to which you want to redirect visitors.
Under Forwarding type, select the preferred type of forwarding. With standard forwarding, a user is redirected to the site and the actual site's address is shown in the user's browser, so the user always knows that he or she is redirected to another address. With frame forwarding, a user is redirected to the site without knowing that the site actually resides at another location, therefore, frame forwarding should be preferred.
Click OK.
To reconfigure an existing domain and make it a domain forwarder:

Go to Websites & Domains tab > domain name.
Click the Change link next to the Hosting type field.
Specify the following:
Under Hosting type, select the Forwarding option.
In the Destination address box, type the Internet address to which you want to redirect visitors.
Under Forwarding type, select the preferred type of forwarding. With standard forwarding, a user is redirected to the site and the actual site's address is shown in the user's browser, so the user always knows that he or she is redirected to another address. With frame forwarding, a user is redirected to the site without knowing that the site actually resides at another location, therefore, frame forwarding should be preferred.
Click OK.

My case is different. Mine is under hosting type, I already selected "forwarding". I just want to go back & change the target now to another url. Where do i do this?

Still need help with this.

The new plesk interface is extremely convoluted in design. None of the features I have actually mentioned above I can actually find.

I thought instead of editing a domain name url forwarding, I would just delete it & recreate a new one following the steps above I got from the help file. I thought I would test with a dummy account first in case the help file instructions were wrong. Lucky I did, as it turns out they are wrong.

1) If you are subscribed to several hosting packages and have access to several webspaces associated with your account, select the required webspace in the Subscription menu at the top of the screen.
Click the Websites & Domains tab.
DONE
2) Click Add New Domain.
I cannot find this option, only "add a subscription", which doesnt allow me to set up domain forwarding instead of hosting like in the last plesk version.

I then proceeded to try the 2nd option from the help file. No go there either.

1) Go to Websites & Domains tab > domain name.
DONE
2) Click the Change link next to the Hosting type field.
I cannot see a "change link next to the hosting type" . The only "change" button available is "change dns zone settings". INside there is "switch off the dns service ", "switch dns service mode" & "add record". None of these fields allow me to modify the hosting.

Can someone tell me how to either modify a domain forwarding or create a new one from scratch & I will just delete the old one?

Please look at attached screenshots.
If you do not see some of highlighted controls there it means that you haven't enough permissions to perform such operation. In this case you need to address the issue to your ISP.

Attachments

• 01. Forwarding.PNG
    01. Forwarding.PNG
    91.5 KB · Views: 353
  • 02. Forwarding.PNG
    02. Forwarding.PNG
    52 KB · Views: 329
Ok, thanks very much for your help Eugene. I got a message saying there was another version upgrade & after upgrading again, I now get the "change" link as in your 2nd screenshot. So I can now modify what I needed.

But what I dont get is most of the features you have in your first screen shot when i go to websites & domains. I only get "DNS settings, SSL, Backup manager & Databases". I also dont get "add a new domain " or "add a new subdomain" as in your first screen shot.

Where do I go to set up a new domain for an existing customer with the hosting option as "forwarding"?

Could you please clarify how do you log in into Panel?
If you log in with customer's credentials - you see exactly what customer sees and it seems that customer hasn't enough permissions to create new domains or FTP accounts on his own.
To see all features you need either to give customer more permissions - to change service plan settings, or to log in as administrator:
1. Log in into Server Administrator Panel with admin credentials
2. Find customer in the list
3. Click the link "Control Panel" (please see attachment)

Attachments

• 03. Forwarding.PNG
    03. Forwarding.PNG
    83.2 KB · Views: 187
No, I am the administrator of several customers/domains.

I login as administrator.

It seems I must have overlooked that control panel when i was looking for it. I had been clicking on the customer name instead of the control panel of the customer name. Thanks for clearing that up.

Hi, i am using plesk panel 9.2.1.... this print screenc dont help for forwardin in my case ?

Got idea ?

Still , it doesn't work after following some advises . . . as seems above have to for redirecting new another domain where i want the same domain seobooklab.com should be opened in preferred domain with www... as it should open www.seobooklab.com . .. for seo purposes, if it doesn't open with www, our site www version pages may loose seo credit, and also to be impact for users if they open it with www. because site won't run with it...

Back