• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How do I install RPM's?

K

kindian

I'm a newbie. Really newbie. I bought a dedicated server and sucessfully installed Plesk 7.5 (Fedora 2). I've checked the modules section and tryed to install some RPM's throught there, but after a while the page shows me the IE not available page eror. I've seen lots of info regarding installing and getting into the "root" with some weird codes like: rpm -q 'rpmname'

But how do I get in there? Is this MS-DOS? I'm under Xp, and as a newbie, I think that I really need some help. What software do I need to install there RPM's.

thanks in advance

First you need to download a Windows SSH program (www.ssh.com), they still have the free 'evaluation' version 3.2 for windows.

Then install it and set it to connect to your server IP, login as root with your root password.

Then you will be at what will look like a 'DOS prompt', it is the Linux shell command prompt.

From here, you can issue commands such as rpm -Uvh whatever.rpm to install/upgrade rpm software packages.

Using the SSH client, you can also open an SFTP window (GUI based) to browse both your local drive and the server linux drive and transfer files that way.

This is just the bare basics, let me know if you have additional questions.

that was a clear reply. that was the answer I was looking for.
I was a CPanel user where everything was simple, and now I have to learn this. Thanks alot.

Just one more thing, an easy one, I've clicked on the updating think and my 7.5.0 was updated to the 7.5.3, in the email confirming the system was updated i've received this:

/PSA_7.5.3/rpm_FedoraCore_2/base/Mambo-4.5.2-7502.noarch.rpm - updated older package Mambo-4.5.1-1

So I wonder where I can automatically install mambo, shoud it be under the Modules section? I cant find anywhere. I dont want to install it manually.

Interesting that it's showing in the base packages, I have never paid attention to that (I'll have to look at my updater logs).

I see it's downloading to:
/usr/local/psa/admin/repository/

AFAIK, Mambo is usually part of the Application Vault, if you did not purchase that option from Plesk, then you will not be able to auto-install from the control panel. The updater can/will update even items which you may not be licensed for (such as app vault rpms and their site builder software).

Speaking of Site Builder, if you are not licensed for that, do not download it even though it shows in the Updater list.

The best practice when using the Updater is to only update those things which you are licensed for and are using.

Some have check marked the Site Builder package in Updater and had minor issues arise from it, then had to do an 'rpm -e ...' to uninstall it.

Also for future reference, if there are updates to the 'base packages of Plesk', do that by itself first, then go back later and do any others you need. Some people have had problems when check marking everything available all at once.

Fortunatelly I havent updated Site Builder, just the basic stuff.
Thanks for telling me that.

But listen since I'm not a App Vault costumer, I still can manually install Mambo's RPM with the SSH thing right?

And last (i'm probably being a pain, but it's my chance to learn more about this) the modules section has a button that lets us upload RPM file, can I install the RPM's that way too?

ok, I think that's it. Thanks a bunch for all the help.

The Modules interface is supposed to allow you to upload and install Plesk integrated options (such as Counter Strike Game Server, Samba control module), not for just any RPM.

I have used the 4PSA Integrator product (similar to Plesk App Vault), I have found it to be better in some ways and cheaper. Then again, I have found many of 4PSA's product add-ons to be better and cheaper in many ways to the Plesk add-ons.

Re: Mambo - it looks like they are using it for something, it actually gets installed per the log files. It goes into:

/usr/local/psa/var/cgitory/Mambo-4.5.2-2

so must be used for some aspect of the control panel.

The RPM file looks like it gets downloaded to:

/root/psa/PSA_7.5.3/<OSVersion>/base/Mambo-4.5.2-7502.noarch.rpm
(exact filename may change based on your OS version)

So through the SSH connection you could use the rpm -Uvh Mambo-4...... command to install it. Please read up on usage of the RPM command and read the Mambo install docs before proceeding.

I've tryed to install mambo:

# rpm -Uvh Mambo-4.5.2-7502.noarch.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
package Mambo-4.5.2-7502 is already installed

So if it is already installed from where can I access to it (http)?

Sorry, I forgot to update this thread. The Mambo that it downloads and installs is part of the Plesk CP in some way related to SiteBuilder.

If you wish to install Mambo to a domain, you should download a 'standard' version and try installing that following their instructions.

Sometimes better go manual then automatic.
I've already installed mambo once manually, all I wanted was something automatic, cause I'm affraid of messing it up. I'll try it manually . thanks once again.

Back