• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How do I keep backups are stored on the local server?

die|webhosterin

New Pleskian
Hey

Today one of our server made problems. PLESK could no longer restart. The database could not start because no space was available.

I have set in the backup settings that backups are to be stored on the FTP server. Defied will leave a copy on the local server.

That meant that 1002 GB stored on backup files on the local server. 1002 GB !!!!. The server smeared from overnight. I had to restart the server in rescue mode, to delete the backup files.

I want to avoid such a thing in future. How can I prevent a copy of the backups are stored on the local server? These are to be stored only on the FTP server.

Hi die|webhosterin,

pls. have a look at your Backup - settings:

Plesk-Onyx_Backup-settings_001.png

If you choosed the options marked with the RED arrow, then backups will be saved in the local server storage, in case of upload - issues!
Define a minimum amount of at least "200" MB and consider to raise this settings to your unique desire! ( I choose at least 20 GB on my servers! ;) )​

Second, because issues/problems may occure now and then, you could as well use a daily crontab, which deletes files and folders "older than X days" in your psa - DUMP - location:

find /var/lib/psa/dumps/* -type d -mtime +X -exec rm -rf {} +
find /var/lib/psa/dumps -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1
-type d -mtime +X -exec rm -rf {} +

(or with older "find" - versions: )
find /var/lib/psa/dumps/* -type d -mtime +X | xargs rm -rf
find /var/lib/psa/dumps -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d -mtime +X | xargs rm -rf

( where "+X" should be modified as for example "+3" for 3 days, "+7" for 7 days, "+14" for 14 days... )

Third, you can use "watchdog" to monitor your mount - points and disk - usage. It will inform you per eMail, when the defined limits are reached. ;)

Hello,

I am now once the thing went through. I immediately lowered to 200 MB the value. The point with the red-marked arrow I have not active because I want that backups are not stored on the local server.

So, point 2 and point 3 of the boxes are cleared. They were all the time.

Today, a reseller turned back to me, its a customers account was filled up again after 5 days.

No matter what I do. Some customers (strangely not all) will be sporadically placed a backup in the account, which should not be. It relates only to a reseller.

In the privileges the option was taken out in the reseller packages that customers are allowed to create backups on the local server. Nevertheless, it does PLESK.

It is sufficient if the admin of all customer deposits backups to an FTP storage, especially since these backup processes lead to high load.

Back