• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How do I rename a domain/subscription?

SacAutos

Regular Pleskian
I'm looking over the cliff of migrating from 9.5.4 to 10.2 . The new terminology is confusing and a bit scary. I've got a VPS that I created with 10.2 on it now and I'm trying out a few things. One of the things that I wanted to do is rename a domain. In Plesk 9, all I had to do was visit the domain administrator page and enter the new name. The documentation references that renaming is possible; but how do you do it? It's not at all obvious...

Look at /usr/local/psa/bin/domain utility with -new_name option. (--help option for details)

Thank you!

Now I know that I wasn't missing it. Surprising that nobody remembered to create a menu option for that though. It's quite useful for building test sites under a testing name and then rename it when it's ready to go live.

Why you can't change domain name, for example, in CP when you go to domain's hosting settings?

It's not in there

I just logged into my test server running Plesk 10.2 for Linux. I clicked on my domain name that I established for testing. I then click on Manage Hosting Settings. I see that I can change the FTP login username and password and the IP address for the domain. (Also the IP address info but that's not relevant to the name.) Nothing for renaming the domain at all...

Step-by-step instruction:

1. Login to Plesk as admin;
2. Go to "Subscriptions" in left menu;
3. Select needed subscription and click to "Control Panel";
4. Click to "Websites & Domains" tab in CP;
5. Click to domain name at the bottom of page;
6. You will see "Domain name *" field where you can change domain's name.
7. Click "OK" button.

Still not seeing it...

Thanks for all the hand-holding on this one. I'm not seeing your option. Could it have anything to do with the fact that this version of Plesk is running inside a VM? I'm attaching a screenshot of the Control Panel page after step 5 you detailed. On Step 6 I see no "Domain name *" field...

Attachments

• snap.jpg
    snap.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 51
Click on domain name. Do you see "Domain name *" field? If no - post screenshot what you see.

Found it!

Thanks for guiding me through this. That's the place where the domain can be renamed. Thanks again!

Igor,
Thank you for the step-by=step instructions. We have had problems with domains that have a mix of uppercase and lowercase in the domain name. They are preventing us from migrating from Plesk 10 to a new server also with Plesk 10. We will try changing to lowercase and see if that fixes it.

That is one of our team who initiated that thread! We will not simply rename until your developers have had a look but there are some major domains that we had to tweak in the old days when it was set up to cope with the uppercase/lowercase issue and I worry that a simple rename may not carry through totally - like entries in domain-specific files.

Hey together,

use the renaming feature with caution!
I did it and it deleted ALL databases and mailaccounts. As well as the files.
I did a backup before renaming, so it's a bit more of work, but not nice, if you don't have a backup.

I think I found the error:

The customer came to me and to make an installation possible, I created a subdomain of my existing domains on the server. After the domain transfer I added the domain, pointing to the same directory in the same subscription.
Now I deleted the right domain, to have it free for transfer, but Plesk doesn't check, if there are other domains, pointing to the same files and mails. I don't know, why it deleted the database too, because they are inside the subscription and not important for the domain.

Maybe parallels can add a check for this and fix the delete from the database.

Last edited:
Wow. Thank you for the warning and we will be careful with that. We have a new server that we are migrating things to so we can do a test with a test domain and look at the issues that you experienced. I'm grateful to you for the input.

Back