• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How do I setup reverse DNS with Plesk?

Craig1986

Basic Pleskian
I run several Domains, which have been registered through Cloudflare. All of these domains point to a VPS, which I also manage and have Root access to.

For the purpose of this question, lets say that the VPS' Hostname is 'mail.tempname.com'.

Since finding out that the Reverse DNS did not match the SMTP Banner, I decided to log into the Cloudflare Control Panel and create the following A Record:

Type: A
Name: mail.tempname.com
Content: The IP address that was provided to me by the VPS Provider.
TTL: Auto
Proxy Status: Proxied (I have also tried with 'DNS Only')

I then logged into the VPS Control Panel, provided by the VPS provider, to modify the 'Reverse DNS' field. Here, I tried to replace the VPS provider's entry with 'mail.tempname.com'. Unfortunately, I am unable to replace the IP address where error messages appears saying the update cannot be performed.

I have spoken with the VPS provider, who state that this is an issue with Cloudflare, with Cloudflare (as I thought) stating that the issue is with the owner of the IP. Therefore, the VPS provider.

Is anyone able to provide any insight on whether I have overlooked anything here as I have never had this issue before.

Reverse DNS is configured with the provider of your IP address. So if your VPS provider also provides you with an static IP address (they usually do, otherwise your VPS isn't very useful) they are the ones to talk too.

However, I can imagine using CloudFlare's proxy can causes issue's. I would not recommend using the proxy for the host name of your VPS anyway (there is really no benefit).

Try switching the proxy off for your mail.tempname.com domain in CloudFlare, wait a bit (couple of hours, maybe a day) and try setting the Reverse DNS again with your provider.

Last edited:
Reverse DNS is configured with the provider of your IP address. So if your VPS provider also provides you with an static IP address (they usually do, otherwise your VPS isn't very useful) they are the ones to talk too.

However, I can imagine using CloudFlare's proxy can causes issue's. I would not recommend using the proxy for the host name of your VPS anyway (there is really no benefit).

Try switching the proxy off for your mail.tempname.com domain in CloudFlare, wait a bit (couple of hours, maybe a day) and try setting the Reverse DNS again with your provider.
Finally figured out the issue. Complete oversight on my behalf.

I had in fact set up the Reverse DNS correctly for all the domains, which pointed to the 'mail.tempname.com' VPS. I simply neglected to also look at the 'tempname.com' DNS Settings. The problem was resolved, for all domains, once I had 'unproxied' the relevant DNS Record for the 'tempname.com' domain.

Thank you for your time, with this issue.

i have a issue in vpn how connect a properly with the best step guide me the vpn disconnecting after in every 5 second...if anybody to know the solution of this problem so plz tell me.

Back