• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How do i trabsfer a website from cpanel to plesk?

mujeeb

New Pleskian
Hi,

I have a website which is almost 10 years old, which is live and getting decent sales on that. It is built with opencart version 1.5x which is pretty old and it is not secured. It is hosted with some shared hosting plan which uses cpanel.

The scenario is:

1. I need to transfer this website to a new vps hosting which i have purchased and it uses plesk.

2. I would like to build this website with magento 2 and use ssl ofcourse.

3. I do not want to disturb the website which is currently live and develop the full website on my new vps server and once it is completely ready, then change the DNS and point to this server.

4. The domain name remains the same

5. In this new magento site,I would like to use the same URL links which i have on my opencart website as i do not want to get affected in the google search engine ranking as my website is shown on the first page maximum times for maximum products.

Could you please help me with these questions?

• Can this be done?
  • What should be the steps I need to follow to accomplish the above?
  • What are the technical problems I might face?
Will appreciate if you can guide me.

Thanks

Do you really need to transfer your old website to your VPS first before launching your new website? It might be easier/less trouble to just leave your old website at the current hosting while you work on the new website on your VPS. In which case all you have to do is change to the DNS once you are ready building your new website.

As far as I am aware you can't have two website with the same domain name on your server. Which means if you transfer your old website to your VPS first, you'll have to create a separate (sub-)domain to develop your new website on, and transfer/move it to your main domain once it is ready. Which can be quite some hassle.

I have no experience with Magento or Opencart however. So I am not sure what kind of challenges you might face working with those.

Hello Rasp,
Thank you for your reply.
I would not disturb the old website which is live on other server. I would first develop the website(with same domain name) on this new VPS server and then point the dns to this new VPS server. The problem i am facing is, i am not able to install magento on this new VPS server with the same domain name as old website unless i point the DNS to this server.
I can develop this new website on localhost with WAMP or XAMPP. But i am not sure how to transfer this website and what are the files to be changed after i transfer in Plesk. I am not getting much information on google too. I am getting information about the files to be changed for cpanel. But not for plesk.
Do you have any idea? Or do you have any other way which you can suggest for my work to get done? I am not much into coding but i can manage any work if it is without coding.

The problem i am facing is, i am not able to install magento on this new VPS server with the same domain name as old website unless i point the DNS to this server.

Why is that not possible? Is that a limitation from Magento?

Why is that not possible? Is that a limitation from Magento?
I am not sure. However what i am planning to do is, I have a domain which i am not using. I have installed magento on that domain and will build my website. once it is completed, i will use the copy website option on plesk and try to move it to my actual domain. Let me see what problems i face. I will keep you posted.

Back