• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

how does mailbox user access spamassassin training

K

kazar

Warning: I am a complete noob at using Plesk, and have no idea how to access my new virtual private server via the shell, don't know a scrap of unix. So I'm hoping the answer to this can be achieved via the Plesk 8.1 admin & user interfaces.

I have spamassassin enabled for the server. It is enabled for users' mailboxes.

When I am logged in as the admin and I click on a mail address I have access to "Training".

But when I log in using a mail account username/pw, there is no access (that I can see) to training.

How do I enable individual mail account users to do their own spamassassin training? Do they not simply log into theirdomain.com:8443 using the mailbox username & pw? And if I got that much right, where do they find the icon for "training"?

If I log in as the client who admins the domains including the one that has the mailbox in question, there is also no place to do "training".

I think I am somewhat confused on setting up Clients versus Domain Admins -- when I log in to this particular domain using what I thought I'd set up as the domain admin's username/pw, I end up having full Client priv's for all three domains owned by that Client.

Luckily, the server admin, the Client, and the mailbox owner are all me! ... and I am not selling nor supporting hosting for anyone else.

Please be gentle and pardon my ignorance.

Thank you.

kazar

I should clarify my statement that the mail account user has no access to training -- I mean the SpamAssassin icon on their Home page is grayed out.

Also, I just figured out the domain admin's login. I wish there were an overview of what the log-ins are for the different levels of responsibility: server admin/client/domain admin/account-holder. But I think I now understand the Client/domain-admin distinction.

THE QUESTION REMAINS: where & how does the account holder for a mail account do their own training? Do I need to put my domain-admin hat on to enable this somewhere? Or my Client hat? Or my admin hat?

thanks

kazar

Just a f/u note to say I still have not figured out how to "ungray" the spamassassin icon for mailbox users. Finding it hard to believe that the domain admin would have to do all the spamassassin training for each mail account ...

so ...

how/where does the domain admin enable the *mail account holder* to train their own spamassassin db?

again, thanks in advance,

kazar

Hi

in the admin panel

system/server/services/spam filter

you need to check the option to admit user preferences

Regards,
GEO

thanks for your reply ...

I do have the "enable per-user preferences" enabled.

When I log into the domain as domain admin, the domain admin can train filter for each of the mail accounts.

But when I log in as an account holder in that same domain (i.e., log into domain.com:8443 as [email protected] with the mail account pw)the "Spam Filter" icon is grayed out.

So the checkbox in the server admin panel is enabling the domain admin to train filters for all email accounts - which is certainly not the way to go - but it does NOT allow the individual mailbox user to train their own filter??

kazar

You need to enter like admin or domain owner in the mailbox setup, and then configure permissions in the same name icon, one by one.

Regards,
GEO

Sorry, it's just not making sense to me that either the domain admin would have to train all the mail accounts (I would not want another individual deciding for me what is spam and what is not), or that you have to give mailbox users the domain's login info. It's just not making sense to me. To me, a mailbox user should be able to log in as themselves (i.e., as [email protected]) and train their own mailbox...

thanks anyway

kazar

spam control

Ok, but before you need to set permissions like admin

and then your email ussers can enter in the mail user panel and config it

to set permissions in the admin panel:

domains/example.com/mail/[email protected]/permissions and then mark what you want to access the mail user

PermissionsAccess to control panel
*******Spam filter management **********
Antivirus management

Enable Spam filter management and then your mailbox user can access to the panel and config their spam options individually.

Regards,
GEO

THANK YOU. That was the piece I was missing. I thought that by enabling server-wide "per user" spam filter training I was done with it. I did not realize I also have to say which accounts can do their own filtering ... I figured it would just become the default that everyone could train their own filters...

There was an awful lot of info to absorb when I switched to this VPS account with my ISP. Thanks for your help.

kazar

Can I use Group Operations to somehow enable Spam filter management for ALL Mail boxes? I have 100 domains and probably 1000 mailboxes and don't want to have to do this on a mailbox by mailbox basis.

Or, can it be done directly in MySQL by setting a specific switch?

Of course, I offer all the usual disclaimers with this code, backup first, use at your own risk!!!

on the psa db,

"update `Permissions` set value='true' WHERE permission='manage_spamfilter' AND value = 'false';"

I can't think of any reason this wouldn't be allowed by default. Perhaps it's expected that serverwide training is done manually and copied as in the knowledgebase article around here somewhere...

Hope this helps somebody!

Back