• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to backup the /data folder

onlinesolutions

Basic Pleskian
We are running servers with a mix of SDD and HDD drives. How do we:

- link user data to a specific subfolder of the /data folder (the HDD drive)
- backup the data

Currently, only the user data of the SSD drive is being backed up.

If we talk about Plesk backup, then it has a certain structure of certain directories (vhosts, configs, etc) for backup and it is impossible to include some extraneous user data directory into it. More details can be found here Backup Objects: Hierarchy and Volume
You can try to move these user's data to their vhosts directories, for example, as possible workaround. Or you any third-party backup solution.

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the response. I would not call it external, as the data is on that same server, in the same system and it cannot be backed up. Yes, I am currently storing all the data on the SSD, but soon I will have to move some to the HDD due to space constraints.

Do you know if this issues is resolved with ONYX, the latest version of plesk?

Yes, I spoke above about Plesk Onyx.
But what "issues" do you mean?

The fact that the system does not backup user`s data from locations other than everything under vhosts (and config and mail). When you run a server with a combination of SSD and HDD drive (which is common since years) you are unable to backup data in the /data (HDD) directory which may contains most of the data. :) That is an issue for me.

Actually, it is system, OS related task but not task of hosting panel, don't you think so?

No. If you store images in there that belong to the hosting account, there should be a function to back it up. There should also be a function to link folders in the /data subdirectory to a user`s account. This would be useful and convenient.

Only data that is stored within the hosting account path /var/www/vhosts belongs to the hosting account. External-to-account data cannot be backed up by the Plesk backup function. That would be an administrative task for Linux. Plesk backs up contents of Plesk managed services, databases and subscriptions/web space, but it does not backup system paths.

I do understand that, but it´s a pity. /var/www/vhosts is mounted on an SSD which is not bigger than 250 gb I believe. Since the /data is mounted on the HDD
one can never use it (suppose you are using the server as a web server) and have plesk back up the data (i.e. no dynamic data, such as images). Is there a way to place a symlink from /data and trick plesk into believing it is backing up data from the /var/www/vhosts directory?

Back