• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How to change DNS zone serial number?

klowet

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 12
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.57 #2
Hi

I should have to upgrade the serial number of a DNS zone manually.
How can I do this in Plesk?

Situation: a migration from another server where the zone has a higher serial number (luckily it has format yyyymmddnn).

Thank you

Hi,

Probably, it is not the most technical solution, but I think the most simplest :)
Create and remove some temporary record in the zone, this action will update the serial on Plesk to the current date. Or do you have to use some date from the future?

That's indeed an option, but quite intensive for +30 domains.
Or do you have to use some date from the future?
No future dates, but a higher serial number (in the two last digits) at the end.

Is there an (CLI) option to increase the serial number of the zone files? I should manually edit the zone file, but that won't work.

All available CLI commands for DNS record management - dns: DNS Zones on Domains. Unfortunately, there is no single command to set specific Serial for the zone. I do not recommend to modify zone files directly. As an option, you can change format to "timestamp" and back to "yyyymmddnn", it will generate new Serial with actual date.

Code:
root@panel:~# cat /var/named/run-root/var/example.com | grep Serial
                        2023112607      ; Serial

root@panel:~# plesk bin dns --update-soa example.com -soa-serial-format timestamp
SUCCESS: Updating SOA record for example.com
                        1701807889      ; Serial

root@panel:~# plesk bin dns --update-soa example.com -soa-serial-format yyyymmddnn
SUCCESS: Updating SOA record for example.com
                        2023120501      ; Serial

Back