• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to change swappiness?

crackmacs

New Pleskian
Hello!

My VPS has 4gb ram. The swappiness is currently set to 5, which is the default setting from when I signed up. It's causing usage alerts at 200mb and it's quite annoying. I asked my host how to change the swappiness value and they linked me to a website with instructions - How To Change the Swappiness of Your Linux System

I've tried following the directions (I am not good with linux) but it's not working. It's running Plesk on CentOS 7.

I am logged in as root and I am trying to change the setting to 20.

sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=20
sysctl: setting key "vm.swappiness": No such file or directory

echo 20 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
-bash: /proc/sys/vm/swappiness: Permission denied

I have edited /etc/sysctl.conf and added the line, rebooted the server, but it hasn't adjusted the swappiness from 5

Any suggestions? I've spent hours on this and am not getting anywhere. Please help me lol

Thank you

Does this article provide any help?
I did try that too! Negative

[root@VPS sysctl.d]# sudo service procps start
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl start procps.service
Failed to start procps.service: Unit not found.

echo 20 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
-bash: /proc/sys/vm/swappiness: Permission denied
As far as VPS resource management is concerned, this can only be done by the host administrator. I would suggest contacting him first.

As far as VPS resource management is concerned, this can only be done by the host administrator. I would suggest contacting him first.

Oh okay, gotcha ty! I've already reached out to them but I guess this issue is complicated and had to be escalated beyond front line support.

Cheers!

Back