• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to change the folder location of WordPress

mgreen

New Pleskian
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 11.5.30 Update #49

I have several users using WordPress that has been installed using the Plesk panel. They want to change the directory that WordPress is installed to. I know if that is done that WordPress will no longer be able to be managed or updated using the Panel. Is there any way to change the folder structure so that this application can still be managed by Plesk?

You can specify path of WP installation only on stage of WP custom installation. You can specify root directory of site, default location or any other name of folder with WP installation. After completing installation procedure you can't change it.

Even if this is an old question, I believe the question is still relevant for others...

And it IS possible, but you have to do a TRICK
1) In Plesk WordPress instances, make a note of the the update and security settings, and account details
2) Detach the instance
3) In file manager rename the folder
4) Under the the domain's Hosting Settings, change the folder to match the new name.
5) In Plesk WordPress Instances, do a Scan, and it will reappear :)
6) Setup Log In, and update and security settings as they were.
(the only thing (*) i lost by that was that it no longer shows me a miniature preview of the site to the left)

PS Your SITE might need some changes too, if it got hard coded paths. I recommend to use something like "Better Search Replace" and scan for your old path. But this of course has nothing to do with Plesk

(*) PPS Note that the restore point entry has also disappeared.
I tried to rename back, and both preview and restore points reappear, renaming again and both are gone.

After letting Plesk update WP to 5.0.2, both preview and restore ppoints are back :)

Last edited:
Back