• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to configure Mail DNS correctly

Fabhino22Elz

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.49 Update #2
Hello everyone,
we are using Plesk for our Server Administration. Our Domains are hosted at 1&1 (IONOS) and our Server is also located there.

We configured the Domains so that they are pointing to the Server IP via A and AAAA record. On the server, they are assigned to different Accounts.

Also, there is an MX record that points to a domain like webmail.hostdomainname.de (For all connected domains, we link to webmail.hostdomainname.de). Everything works fine.

What I am wondering - We currently do not have a specific Mail DNS A or AAAA Record in our Domain settings, just a *.domainname.de that points to the Server.

So what I want to ensure - Do I need a specific record like mail.domainname.de or webmail.domainname.de and point it to the server to have it configured correctly?

And so - Is it a failure to have the domain webmail.hostdomainname.de used for IMAP and SMTP even if under this domain the web mail software for our users is reachable / running?

I hope I explained everything right. If not, sorry for misunderstandings, and please ask, whatever you need to know.

An MX record always points to a domain or subdomain. If that domain or subdomain resolve is nothing MX resolution cares about. If you set a wildcard for your domain resolution, it is sufficient for MX resolution to work, because the domain will resolve just as a defined domain or subdomain.

The webmail subdomain can be used as an MX name. It can also be used for IMAP or SMTP, but you may run into issues with the SSL certificate for it.

Please ask yourself why you cannot live with a standard mail configuration and are trying to create a non-standard setup? The setup you are describing has no advantages but can bring some disadvantages for future maintenance, connectivity and overall ease-of-use.

Hello Peter,
first - thank you for your answer.

I don't want to run this configuration, it is just the current status. I would love to know the best possible configuration to then adapt it and also don't run into issues or something.

So would there be hints to optimize / adjust my configuration, or is there a manual for the correct setup?

Thank you in advance :)

So what I want to ensure - Do I need a specific record like mail.domainname.de or webmail.domainname.de and point it to the server to have it configured correctly?
No, you don't need a specific mail record.

And so - Is it a failure to have the domain webmail.hostdomainname.de used for IMAP and SMTP even if under this domain the web mail software for our users is reachable / running?
Using webmail.hostdomainname.de to connect to an email client via IMAP, POP and SMTP is fine. Nothing wrong with that.

An MX record always points to a domain or subdomain. If that domain or subdomain resolve is nothing MX resolution cares about. If you set a wildcard for your domain resolution, it is sufficient for MX resolution to work, because the domain will resolve just as a defined domain or subdomain.

The webmail subdomain can be used as an MX name. It can also be used for IMAP or SMTP, but you may run into issues with the SSL certificate for it.

Please ask yourself why you cannot live with a standard mail configuration and are trying to create a non-standard setup? The setup you are describing has no advantages but can bring some disadvantages for future maintenance, connectivity and overall ease-of-use.
I am asking because of your message here @Peter Debik

I am sorry, but I don't understand what is wrong currently and what I should change to not run in issues or have the disadvantages you mentioned above.

So my question is, what I should ideally change to have the best possible setup.

Your setup should work as is. A better setup would be

A-Record * -> your host IP
AAAA-Record * -> your host IP
A-Record @ -> your host IP
AAAA-Record @ -> your host IP
MX-Record -> mail.<your hostname>

so that "webmail" and the MX mail subdomain are separate. But it really does not matter so much if all services are located on the same IP.

Back