• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the current Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Question How to Download latest Backup via FTP

L. Hagen

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian v18
Hi,

in "Tools & Settings -> Backup Manager" I can download a full backup and can also setup "Remote Storage Settings". But I'm wondering if it's possible to access Plesk via SFTP from the Internet to download a full backup too?

I would like to create a small backup job on my local NAS that downloads the latest full backup from Plesk. The "Remote Storage Settings" are no option, because the NAS is not running 24/7.

Is there any way to perform this?

Hello @L. Hagen

It is possible to configure SFTP access to a Plesk server under a subscription. Some details can be found here:
How to grant a Subscription or Domain user SSH/SFTP access to its home directory in Plesk?
Also, it is mentioned under this forum thread:
How to setup a SFTP account in Plesk

As an addition, such type of access can be configured even independently from Plesk itself:
How to Setup SFTP Server on Ubuntu 20.04
How to install an Ubuntu SFTP server
Hi Mikhail_S,

I know how I can get access. But my question is how to download a single file FULL backup via SFTP.

But my question is how to download a single file FULL backup via SFTP.
All the backups are stored inside the directory /var/lib/psa/dumps.
Thus, you need either to take the necessary backup from there before downloading or to make this directory available directly.

All the backups are stored inside the directory /var/lib/psa/dumps.
Thus, you need either to take the necessary backup from there before downloading or to make this directory available directly.
I checked this folder and there are a lot of files in it but obviously not a full system backup file. The largest file in this folder is ca. 12 MB. But when I click on download file from the backup panel (GUI) I get a file which is about 12 GB. Do you have any idea?

I checked this folder and there are a lot of files in it but obviously not a full system backup file. The largest file in this folder is ca. 12 MB. But when I click on download file from the backup panel (GUI) I get a file which is about 12 GB. Do you have any idea?
I would suggest using the CLI utility. That would help to optimize and automate the process
How to download a large backup file from Plesk

I also has this in mind to create a cronjob which stores the full backups on the server and then to download the folder where the files are stored. It's not really elegant but should work... I had the hope that there is a better way.
For this specific configuration, this seems to be the easiest way.
Otherwise, I would say you could consider configuring scheduled backup to remote storage. You said NAS is not available 24/7. However, you might configure it to be available just for the time when the backup is started. This setup would work as well but it might be a bit unstable due to the necessity to have NAS turned on at the specific time.

Back