• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue How does Plesk Identify the application instance for Backup Encryption

questist

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.57 Update 4
I want to backup my files over remote connection via OneDrive. I see that the backup security options allow either a password protected backup or a Plesk Encryption Key Backup. However, I am unfamiliar with the way Plesk identifies particular plesk installations. Does it use the license key to identify the plesk instance or some other way. I am curious because the main concern is securing the backups as well as possible in remote storage.
a) I feel like the plesk encryption would be better because if someone does get a hold of the files it can only be reinstalled in my plesk app
b) I am a little worried if I re-install plesk from a server disk image in case of hacking or catastrophic failure that the backups will no longer work.
c) Also, I am just curious for my own enlightenment, are there any other issues I should be aware of for remote backups

Thanks in advance

Do not use the automated encryption "Plesk's encryption key". Instead set a password on the backup:

1703061184103.png

If you use "plesk's encryption key", to restore the backup you will be forced to use the same hardware, which will be impossible and won't work if it is a catastrophic issue -or p.e. need a new bigger disk - and need to change hardware; I learned the hard way...

Back