• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How to find the Mail Access logs?

Craig1986

Basic Pleskian
I have a Plesk VPS, hosting 2 Domains. I am looking to be able to access the Mail Logs, for a specific Mail Box. Any ideas on where such access Logs would be stored? Ideally, I would like to access them via the VPS Interface; just like you would for the the 'Log' entries.

The logs are usually located in /var/logs and are named mail.log or maillog depending on your OS.

Thanks for your reply. I had downloaded the maillog file, from /var/log but the Logs only contain the activities from the present month. Are there settings I would need to change, in order for the maillog to contain the activities from beyond the present month?

I am not sure if this affects anything but there are similarly named files, such as 'maillog.processed' and 'maillog.processed.1.gz'.

Unpack the .gz files with for example
# gunzip maillog.processed.1.gz
Then look into them like
# less maillog.processed.1
and find older data in them. You can tell when the last entry in such a log file was made by checking the file date like
# ll maillog.processed.1.gz

The log retention time can be changed, if you want to collect more data:
Check /etc/logrotate.conf and /etc/logrotate.d/syslog and make the changes that you need there.
But it is not possible to restore older data that has long been rotated/deleted by a configuration change. Only for the future you can change the log rotation settings.

Back