• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How to increase memcached cache size?

robetus

Basic Pleskian
I have installed memcached on php 5.6, now how do I configure it? I tried to locate the memcached.conf file but couldn't find it anywhere. I'd like to increase the cache size. My server has 64gb of RAM and I'd like to use a little more cache than the default 64mb. Also, after the changes are made how can I check them?

Hi robetus,

pls. always add your "operating system" in your threads / posts, when you have questions regarding a specific configuration file. Due to the fact that Plesk supports quite a lot of operating systems, the possible answer(s) might not meet your environment. ;)

Pls. be informed, that it is quite easy on linux based systems, to find files and folders. For example:

Using "mlocate":

locate memcached.conf
( additional information: The command "locate" depends on the the installed package "mlocate", which can be installed with the command "apt-get install mlocate" on Debian/Ubuntu - based systems. To update and to create the "mlocate" - database, you have to use the command: updatedb - before you can use the "locate ..." - command. Consider to setup an hourly crontab with the "updatedb" - command, in order to be sure, that the "mlocate" - database is up-to-date. )

Using "find":

find / -type f -name "*.conf" -exec grep --color -Hni "memcached" {} \;

... because most server-wide configuration files are located inside the folder "etc", you could even reduce the search to: find /etc -type f -name "*.conf" -exec grep --color -Hni "memcached" {} \;

Thank you for your answer. locate memcached.conf does nothing and the find command you gave gives:
find: File system loop detected; `/var/named/chroot/var/named' is part of the same file system loop as `/var/named'.

I'm on Centos 6.8 64.

Hi robetus,

if you don't find a depending "memcached.conf", it mostly means, that you missed the installation of the require "memcached" package on your system.

For CentOS/RHEL - based systems, pls. use:

yum update
yum install memcached

Answers according to:
locate memcached.conf does nothing
That means, that there is no "memcached.conf" on your server. Pls. see the suggestion above to resolve that.

find: File system loop detected; `/var/named/chroot/var/named' is part of the same file system loop as `/var/named'.
You can ignore such a message from "find", when you used a server-wide search, without excluding specific folders. In your case, "find" found a symlink for another file, which the find - process found previously. "find" will skip this symlink and will continue with the search, without a further notice to that situation. Consider to see such a message as a note - nothing more. :)

I already have memcached installed on php 5.6 and it is verified by using PHP info, should I still yum install memcached?

Hi robetus,

sorry "no", you didn't install the memcached server on your server, you just added a MODULE for your PHP version ( which works as a sort of "connector" to your memcached server ), but still don't have the "memcached" package ( = the memcached server itself! ) installed.

should I still yum install memcached
Well, if you want the "connector" to be connected to your memcached server, then you need that package on your server, because it should be pretty obvious, that a PHP - module doesn't replace the memcached server installation. ;)

Back