• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue How to install Memcache PECL extension for PHP (not Memcached)

• Thread starter Deleted member 209767
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 209767

Server operating system version
CentOS 8.5.2111 x86_64
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.41.1
I already have Memcached installed and running
1669432975222.png

But now I need to install the Memcache (not Memcached) PECL extension for PHP in order to use this plugin:

I tried this:
Code:
yum install php74-php-pecl-memcache.x86_64

Then I follow the instructions but as soon as I upload object-cache.php it breaks the site with this error in the logs:
AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'Memcache' not found in /var/www/vhosts/domain.net/public_html/wp-content/object-cache.php:987\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/vhosts/domain.net/public_html/wp-content/object-cache.php(100): WP_Object_Cache->__construct()\n#1 /var/www/vhosts/domain.net/public_html/wp-includes/load.php(730): wp_cache_init()\n#2 /var/www/vhosts/domain.net/public_html/wp-settings.php(131): wp_start_object_cache()\n#3 /var/www/vhosts/domain.net/public_html/wp-config.php(105): require_once('/var/www/vhosts...')\n#4 /var/www/vhosts/domain.net/public_html/wp-load.php(50): require_once('/var/www/vhosts...')\n#5 /var/www/vhosts/domain.net/public_html/wp-blog-header.php(13): require_once('/var/www/vhosts...')\n#6 /var/www/vhosts/domain.net/public_html/index.php(17): require('/var/www/vhosts...')\n#7 {main}\n thrown in /var/www/vhosts/domain.net/public_html/wp-content/object-cache.php on line 987'

According to what I found on google, Memcache not found error occurs when the extension is not installed/enabled

So... what is the correct way to install the Memcache PECL extension for PHP 7.4 with CentOS 8 and Plesk Obsidian 18?

The latest version of Memcache requires PHP version > 8.0:

# /opt/plesk/php/7.4/bin/pecl install memcache
WARNING: channel "pecl.php.net" has updated its protocols, use "pecl channel-update pecl.php.net" to update
pecl/memcache requires PHP (version >= 8.0.0), installed version is 7.4.33
No valid packages found
install failed

But you can compile the previous version with PHP 7.4 support:
Instruction is the following:

# yum install make gcc
# /opt/plesk/php/7.4/bin/pecl install memcache-4.0.5.2
# echo "extension=memcache.so" > /opt/plesk/php/7.4/etc/php.d/memcache.ini
# /usr/local/psa/bin/php_handler --reread

After that module should be loaded. Check it with:

# /opt/plesk/php/7.4/bin/php -m | grep memcache
memcache

The latest version of Memcache requires PHP version > 8.0:

# /opt/plesk/php/7.4/bin/pecl install memcache
WARNING: channel "pecl.php.net" has updated its protocols, use "pecl channel-update pecl.php.net" to update
pecl/memcache requires PHP (version >= 8.0.0), installed version is 7.4.33
No valid packages found
install failed

But you can compile the previous version with PHP 7.4 support:
Instruction is the following:

# yum install make gcc
# /opt/plesk/php/7.4/bin/pecl install memcache-4.0.5.2
# echo "extension=memcache.so" > /opt/plesk/php/7.4/etc/php.d/memcache.ini
# /usr/local/psa/bin/php_handler --reread

After that module should be loaded. Check it with:

# /opt/plesk/php/7.4/bin/php -m | grep memcache
memcache
after I run `/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php7.4.3/bin/pecl install memcache-4.0.5.2` have error: `checking for the location of zlib... configure: error: memcache support requires ZLIB. Use --with-zlib-dir=<DIR> to specify prefix where ZLIB include and library are located`

@duyvipaz20 Have you seen that Plesk supports PECL installs directly through the GUI?
View attachment 24080
Unfortunately, I don't have GUI to manage PECL packages, I using MAMP PRO for macOS and it have PECL. I run command with like seem: `/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php5.6.40/bin/pecl install memcache-3.0.8 --with-zlib-dir=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/zlib/1.3/include/zlib.h`

In that, `--with-zlib-dir=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/zlib/1.3/include/zlib.h` is my path root. I use brew to install zlib. after, i run command `brew info zlib` following:
1692766088646.png

And I still get the error above:
1692766168668.png

I see. Well, then I think it will be best to ask the question in an Apple-related forum. The experts here are using Plesk to manage their servers. Unless someone on here is a seasoned Mac user, too, you won't find a solution here.

Back