• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to make Plesk forget that an imported domain is a wordpress app

TimReeves

Regular Pleskian
Hi there,

I recently imported a domain to my server using Plesk migrator. On the source machine it was a WordPress app, so it got imported as one. But personally I prefer to manually update my WP installations, I like to go in the backend and see if there are any other messages / problems / todos, and to control any plugin updates in the frontend, if all still works (at least twice it did not).

So my question is, how can I release the domain from being viewed and monitored by Plesk as an app - whereby the actual installation should obviously remain, just Plesk's DB-entries for the WP-App should go.

I read this page: http://download1.parallels.com/Ples...inistrator-guide/index.htm?fileName=73563.htm but the link to "Switching Off Automatic Integration of WordPress Installations" does not work (and is probably not what I mean anyway).

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,
  1. Was your WordPress app installed manually or you've used app catalog on Applications tab in Plesk to install it?
  2. Do you have WordPress Toolkit available/enabled?

Hi custer,

thanks for your reply. WordPress was indeed originally installed - not by me - on its original server as a Plesk App, and when I moved it to my server via Plesk migration it therefore remained an App on my server, which is not what I wanted. I have re-enabled the WordPress Toolkit in Plesk's panel.ini (I otherwise have it turned off), so I see it in the normal WordPress management dialogs - but I do not find any option there to "un-app" it, so to speak - to leave the subscription, domain data, DB, etc. in place but to remove Plesks DB-entries re managing it as a WordPress App. That's what I'm missing and looking for.

Cheers,

Tim

If WordPress was installed from Applications tab (as an APS app), it cannot be simply de-APSified, unfortunately. There's a workaround where you create a fresh WordPress instance manually, then migrate all old WordPress data there, but I think it's too much of a hassle.

Let's try to solve your root issue - am I correct that the reason you're trying to deAPSify Wordpress is that you don't want this WordPress instance to be updated by Plesk automatically? Would it satisfy you if you could only update it manually?

Also, you've mentioned that you have WordPress Toolkit turned off. Is there a particular reason you did this? We've created this tool specifically to make management of WordPress instances easier (including manual WordPress installations).

@TimReeves,

You stated

Hi custer,

thanks for your reply. WordPress was indeed originally installed - not by me - on its original server as a Plesk App, and when I moved it to my server via Plesk migration it therefore remained an App on my server, which is not what I wanted. I have re-enabled the WordPress Toolkit in Plesk's panel.ini (I otherwise have it turned off), so I see it in the normal WordPress management dialogs - but I do not find any option there to "un-app" it, so to speak - to leave the subscription, domain data, DB, etc. in place but to remove Plesks DB-entries re managing it as a WordPress App. That's what I'm missing and looking for.

Cheers,

Tim

and, also given your initial post, I must admit that migration of WPT managed WP instance is a hassle (read: not possible, Plesk Migrator does not cooperate properly with WPT).

You seem to look for a solution to "un-app" (in your words): that is, remove a WP instance from WPT.

There are three kinds of work-arounds:

a) just "leave as is" and accept the entry in WPT, with the entry being of the kind that under "Name" something like /httpdocs is shown.

This is the simple work-around: your WP instance will work fine, only WPT is not able to do read the wp-config.php file.

The disadvantage is that a lot of "muck" remains in the Plesk databases, concerning the .

b) if you are lucky, a wp-config.php file is present AND the WPT will show you a "Detach" button if you click on /httpdocs (or some other directory) in the column "Name".

The advantage is that the WPT related database entries in the Plesk databases are removed completely or largely (depends on the scenario).

The disadvantage is that not always the "Detach" button is shown: if a "Remove" button is shown, do not click on that (it will remove everything, including the WP instance itself).

The other disadvantage is that a click on the "Scan" button will (re-)discover the WP instance and, hence, undo the results from the "Detach" process.

c) manually change and edit the WPT related database entries (note: this is not that difficult).

The disadvantage is that you cannot press "Scan" anymore, since that will undo all or most of your changes.

The advantage is that you can enable the WPT based management of the WP instance, by simply adding the right entries (which persist, until the next scan).

In conclusion, it is possible to "un-app" and to "re-app" any WPT managed WP instance.

Note that I am pressing Plesk Team to have a look at the WPT/Migrator issue, since it is not desirable that WPT managed WP instances are not migrated properly.

Hope the above helps!

Regards.....

If WordPress was installed from Applications tab (as an APS app), it cannot be simply de-APSified, unfortunately. There's a workaround where you create a fresh WordPress instance manually, then migrate all old WordPress data there, but I think it's too much of a hassle.

Let's try to solve your root issue - am I correct that the reason you're trying to deAPSify Wordpress is that you don't want this WordPress instance to be updated by Plesk automatically? Would it satisfy you if you could only update it manually?

Also, you've mentioned that you have WordPress Toolkit turned off. Is there a particular reason you did this? We've created this tool specifically to make management of WordPress instances easier (including manual WordPress installations).

@custer,

In your response, there are many questions, with obvious answers, at least in my humble opinion.

The general answer would be: yes, a

a) properly functioning migration process of WPT managed WP instances (the context in which @TimReeves presented his issue), AND
b) possibility to detach (without removing) WP instances from WPT, AND
c) improvement of the WPT GUI (to allow attaching/detaching of WP instances), AND
d) improvement of the WPT command line utility,

would be desirable or even required.

Naturally, we have our personal conversation with respect to Migrator/WPT, I will continue to present my test results over there.

Regards....

We have a similar issue but can not work around it easily. We are using Plesk Migrator to merge 2 servers together and the sites that were created with Wordpress Toolkit (using APS app) have fixed DB names that conflict with each other so that we can not effectively merge those sites. For example APS makes DB names like: 'wordpress_b' then 'wordpress_c' and so one for each server so that they are not random or unique. There is no way to change those names (you can recreate them and rename them sure but that doesn't matter as they are still there and can't be migrated as a result. With no way to rename them or disconnect the DB (so it can be manually renamed) there is no way for Plesk Migrator to effectively migrate sites Plesk makes with Plesk Wordpress toolkit....

We have a similar issue but can not work around it easily. We are using Plesk Migrator to merge 2 servers together and the sites that were created with Wordpress Toolkit (using APS app) have fixed DB names that conflict with each other so that we can not effectively merge those sites. For example APS makes DB names like: 'wordpress_b' then 'wordpress_c' and so one for each server so that they are not random or unique. There is no way to change those names (you can recreate them and rename them sure but that doesn't matter as they are still there and can't be migrated as a result. With no way to rename them or disconnect the DB (so it can be manually renamed) there is no way for Plesk Migrator to effectively migrate sites Plesk makes with Plesk Wordpress toolkit....

Incorrect, in so many ways.

If you really have issues as described above, you should point out the details, not an endresult that seems to be fictitious as long as the alleged issues cannot be replicated.

Back