• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to manage DNS in Cloudflare while domain is hosted in Plesk

TurabG

Basic Pleskian
Hi.

I have transferred a domain to Cloudflare registrar and have been managing DNS from Cloudflare since then. It is right now hosted in a manually managed dedicated server, in a couple of days I will be moving the host to a Plesk instance.

Today I tried to test if I could add the domain to Plesk with DNS turned off. But couldn't manage. I installed Cloudflare addon to link Plesk with it but it gives an error like this;

"Your example.com's DNS is hosted by CloudFlare. If you'd like to switch to your Plesk server, you must first deactivate and then delete "example.com" within CloudFlare. These options are available in the Settings menu."

This is obviously not something I would like to do.

Is it possible to turn off DNS for this domain in Plesk and add Cloudfalre nameservers to continue to manage DNS from Cloudflare? By the way I tried that too. But Plesk has an audit feature which tells me that the Cloudflare NS doesn't resolve my domain, while it is not the case actually.

Is it possible to turn off DNS for this domain in Plesk and add Cloudfalre nameservers to continue to manage DNS from Cloudflare? By the way I tried that too. But Plesk has an audit feature which tells me that the Cloudflare NS doesn't resolve my domain, while it is not the case actually.
At one time, just like that, I used my site on Plesk with NS records pointed to Cloudflare servers. But I did not catch what kind of audit you are talking about. I don’t remember having any problems with this.

Plesk.png

Editing the DNS settings of the domain. As you see, I have disabled DNS and defined Cloudflare name servers only. As in the screenshot, tooltip near the name server reads as "Test DNS zone in the name server" and when clicked, it tries to survey the name server and returns with a result like this;

*** Error : There is no DNS entry for your domain on this nameserver *** : or this nameserver functions improperly. *** Warning: There are no MX records for your domain. *** Notify : No www. records for your domain.

For the first part; There is in fact a DNS entry for my domain on that name server. Because I am already using this domain on those Cloudflare name servers, right now. For the second part, there are definitely MX records for this domain, defined in Cloudflare DNS management and it is pretty much actively being used right now.

I am not sure if this will cause me problems if I moved the domain to this Plesk instance with the current settings. I am trying to make sure everything is set correctly before the actual moving of the server. Because it is a production site and emails are very much active; I can not risk "do and wait to see".

Update: Although Plesk queries the name server and comes up with an error saying that name server doesn't resolve the domain, it works. I tried to switch the production server today; moved the files and the databases and it worked along with DNS managed completely in Cloudflare and not in Plesk.

Last edited:
I know what you are talking about.. sadly to many people think that they should manage the DNS in their Plesk Panel .. thats totaly wrong. Do like @IgorG told you. Go to your domain-registrar and point THERE your NS from your Domain to CloudFlare, not in your Plesk Panel.
Also after this you can uninstall "BIND DNS server" as you are managing your DNS with CloudFlare which is much faster, specially when it comes to world-wide performance.

Installing "CloudFlare ServerShield" (the extension) and clicking "activate CloudFlare" is just the wrong way.

Yeah that's what I already did. My registrar is also Cloudflare (and thus I can't anyway change the NS). I uninstalled Cloudflare add-on from Plesk and disabled DNS for the domain; now production is fine and working.

Could anyone please explain please? So you do no DNS Settings or adjustments within Plesk??? You just use the cloudflare nameserver with your domain registrar and thats it?

Could anyone please explain please? So you do no DNS Settings or adjustments within Plesk??? You just use the cloudflare nameserver with your domain registrar and thats it?

This is not related to Plesk. Actually this question is 100% related to CloudFlare, please ask in CloudFlare Forum as it does not belong to here.

Hi, I actually already told above. Do not use Cloudflare add-on for Plesk (even uninstall if present). Disable DNS for this domain in Plesk. Enter Cloudflare nameservers after disabling. It should work fine. But remember, every change in SSL, subdomains and as such, you need to make the same changes in Cloudflare too.

View attachment 16303

Editing the DNS settings of the domain. As you see, I have disabled DNS and defined Cloudflare name servers only. As in the screenshot, tooltip near the name server reads as "Test DNS zone in the name server" and when clicked, it tries to survey the name server and returns with a result like this;

*** Error : There is no DNS entry for your domain on this nameserver *** : or this nameserver functions improperly. *** Warning: There are no MX records for your domain. *** Notify : No www. records for your domain.

For the first part; There is in fact a DNS entry for my domain on that name server. Because I am already using this domain on those Cloudflare name servers, right now. For the second part, there are definitely MX records for this domain, defined in Cloudflare DNS management and it is pretty much actively being used right now.

I am not sure if this will cause me problems if I moved the domain to this Plesk instance with the current settings. I am trying to make sure everything is set correctly before the actual moving of the server. Because it is a production site and emails are very much active; I can not risk "do and wait to see".
Thank you ;)

Back