• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Contribution [HOW-TO] Migration of Plesk roundcubemail to new server

Tobias Sorensson

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.61 Update #3
Here is a step by step guide how i migrated roundcubemail contacts etc to new server.

Step 1.
export the old servers roundcubemail db with this command on the old server
plesk db dump roundcubemail > /root/roundcubemail_old_server_db.sql

Step 2.
Download the /root/roundcubemail_old_server_db.sql to you´r pc.

Step 3.
go into the new server and get into Plesk DB you can do this by going to Tools & Settings -> Database Servers Press on the phpmyadmin logo to the right of the MariaDB server and locate the database roundcubemail make a backup of this db incase someting gose wrong.

Step 4.
go to Import and upload the roundcubemail sql backup that you saved in Step 2. i left everything else as default and then i got a success message that everything was imported correctly.

Step 5.
Success! all the users contacts got imported correctly :)

i dont understand why plesk cant just try and import the db themsenf when you use the migration tool. but alas this works :)

Thank you for sharing! We actually have a resources section on the forum for guides like these. Maybe you like to add your guide there too?

i dont understand why plesk cant just try and import the db themsenf when you use the migration tool. but alas this works :)
We would like that too. However Roundcube can change their database structure with new releases. Which makes migration between different RC versions very difficult. Which is why Roundcube migration and restoration aren't part of the Plesk backups and the Pleks migrator.

There are certain caveats, like that your procedure ONLY works properly when migrating to a brand new server and do it all at once.
But if you already have some accounts running on the new server, this will screw up big time. The same if you migrate in batches.

That being said, it would be quite easy to export and import the Roundcube settings on a per user basis. (like only three or four sql queries required)
Also, the year long Plesk argument of different database structures making Roundcube migrations difficult is quite moot, as it's simply not true.
I've migrated many Roundcube webmails (on Plesk Servers and others) in the past 10+ years and never ever run into a database structure problem.
The relevant 'users', 'identities', 'contacts' and 'contactgroups' tables that hold the configurations are still the same or only got some new columns added.

Edit: OK, one thing I may have left out are Roundcube installations with more than the default enabled extensions.
These can get a bit more tricky...

Back